Thread: XP Shutdown problem

Smile XP Shutdown problem

Hi there,

This is my first time on a forum like this, but after reading some of the responses to other queries, I thought you guys seemed like a helpful bunch. So, I just wondered if you might be able to shed some light on a problem I’m having with my PC.

Last week, I plugged a pen drive into the front USB port on my PC and opened some files that were on it. There weren’t any problems that day, but when I turned my PC on the next morning, it got as far as the black ‘Windows XP is loading’ screen, but then went to a blue error screen with white writing, before rebooting itself again.

It then took me to a screen where it said a hardware/software problem had cause an error and gave me a number of options, including returning the PC to an earlier configuration. This didn’t seem to do anything, so I chose the Safe Mode option and used System Restore to go back a week or so to before the problem arose.

The PC now boots normally, but when I try to either Log Off or, I get no response, even after 20 minutes or so. However, if I pick the Stand By option, this takes me to the User Accounts screen and I’m then able to use that Turn Off Computer option to shut down.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed and I have Norton Antivirus 2003, Spybot and Ad Aware installed. I installed Norton Internet Security around the same time as I used the pen drive – I don’t know if this may have had any complications.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you go to "Administrative Tools" > "Event Viewer" does it list any errors in any of the groups ?

If it does, right click on the error choose Properties and post what it says.

Here are a couple links that should be helpful.

One

Two
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Bronze Member

Thanks guys for your responses.

FastGame, when I use Event Viewer, I get an Error from the Service Control Manager with the following message:

The hpdj service failed to start due to the following error:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I also get a Warning with this message:

The attempt to power off USER-TTBU8G1D9C failed

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Hey efc,

the aumha.org link suggests that with USB device problems, I should upgrade to SP2, but I've done this already.

Any ideas?

Which usb devices do you have? Do you know which device is causing the problem?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The hpdj service failed to start due to the following error:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.
    Do you have an HP DeskJet printer ? is it going bad ? or if you don't have this printer then uninstall the drivers.

I have no clue what the second error is ?????

I have two USB devices which are continually attached: an Iomega external hard drive and an hp deskjet printer which isn't exactly working well (even though I've had it replaced once already).

However, I still feel it was the new USB flash drive that I connected that has generated this problem somehow.