Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does this offend?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Does this offend?

http://religion.info/artman/uploads/...nds-posten.jpg

Complete list of those cartoons:

http://democracyfrontline.org/blog/index.php?p=133

Just curious what your opinions are on this matter...

Are you pro-freedom of speech or do you think there should be limits?

This is not about the politics or religion of the world... it is about your opinion of the freedom of speech.

Are you pro freedom of speech or do you think that there are some topics that shouldn't be allowed?

Please don't make this a political debate or it will be deleted. Discuss your opinion about freedom of speech. Thanks.

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    There was a discussion at a nearby university this evening. It was on this and similar subjects. The consensus of the group, made up of students representing 34 countries and 8 religions, that political humor should be taken with a grain of salt.

Shown were images much more offensive than anything you presented.

Two students, one was from Isreal, and the other was from Saudi Arabia both agreed that the problem comes from the news media whom has an agenda to see who can create the greatest sensationalism.

I had to agree with them. The news media no longer feels they just need to REPORT the news; but feel they must CREATE it as well.

Triple Platinum Member
    I don't like the typecasting. Freedom of speech is wonderful but there should be a limit. It must not be abused.

Because I'm not a Sikh I'm not offended but I'm sure some of my friends here would take offense if they saw those cartoons.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I tend to agree with Denyse.....but some people in this world lack a sense of humor.....more so today than at most periods throughout History....Do a little research.....look at different periods in our lifetime....or the history we are familiar with......WWI.....WWII....Korea.....Vietnam....etc etc etc....political satire....blah blah blah.....will there ever be harmony with all people throughout the world....never.....and sad it is.....with freedom of speech and freedom of the press as we know it, the key or operative word here is freedom....free to go to your workplace of choice without the fear of a plane slamming into your office...killing thousands, freedom to worship as we choose, freedom to speak what we feel without persecution or write the same, or in this case draw a little humor. Is this not what our Country is all about?...for anyone who lives here no matter where they originate from.....could go on and on without making it political....it's a form of humor....how we see it....is another point.

Banned
    I agree with today's leader in the Guardian: publishing such cartoons is gratuitously offensive:
    http://tinyurl.com/76cqk
    I also agree with 'The Wege' (scroll down - some may find his language not to their taste):
    http://tinyurl.com/8xogn
    It's worth pointing out that in the US the Joint Chiefs of Staff just sent a menacing letter to the Washington Post. Over...a cartoon:
    http://tinyurl.com/b7uya
    And, of course, Cindy Sheehan was thrown out of the SOTU for wearing a T-shirt with the question: "2245 Dead. How many more?” (seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me):
    "‘I was never told that I couldn’t wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things…I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for “unlawful conduct.”
    The Capitol Police acknowledged later that there was no legal basis for removing, let alone arresting, Cindy Sheehan: to the contrary, they admitted that they screwed up because Sheehan didn't violate any rules or laws:
    http://tinyurl.com/b6xse
    Freedom of speech in the US is a thing of the past, to be remembered fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikto
    I agree with today's leader in the Guardian: publishing such cartoons is gratuitously offensive:
    http://tinyurl.com/76cqk
    I also agree with 'The Wege' (scroll down - some may find his language not to their taste):
    http://tinyurl.com/8xogn
    It's worth pointing out that in the US the Joint Chiefs of Staff just sent a menacing letter to the Washington Post. Over...a cartoon:
    http://tinyurl.com/b7uya
    And, of course, Cindy Sheehan was thrown out of the SOTU for wearing a T-shirt with the question: "2245 Dead. How many more?” (seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me):
    "‘I was never told that I couldn’t wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things…I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for “unlawful conduct.”
    The Capitol Police acknowledged later that there was no legal basis for removing, let alone arresting, Cindy Sheehan: to the contrary, they admitted that they screwed up because Sheehan didn't violate any rules or laws:
    http://tinyurl.com/b6xse
    Freedom of speech in the US is a thing of the past, to be remembered fondly.

Niki,
    I thought I made it apparently clear that this was a discussion about your opinion of freedom of speech, not about US, UK, Muslim, Terrorists, Bali Bombers, IRA rebel leaders, Stewie from Family Guys' animation...

It was about your take on freedom of speech. Just offer an opinion, no need to back it up with a politically cited dissertation on the worldly violations of speech across the globe. A simple personal well-worded sentence will suffice.

THe question was and still is:

Are you pro freedom of speech or do you think that there are some topics that shouldn't be allowed?

Again, no political wing wang will be tolerated.

Silver Member
    not to sound like an ass or anything here BB because i like you and all of the TZ people here but if you didnt want people posting links and such then maybe you shouldnt have posted the two that you did it kind of leads people on in a sense to post their own which was just proven by nikto....i could be totally off base here but thats just how im viewing this little problem right now

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Niki,
    I thought I made it apparently clear that this was a discussion about your opinion of freedom of speech, not about US, UK, Muslim, Terrorists, Bali Bombers, IRA rebel leaders, Stewie from Family Guys' animation...
    I hate to break it to you, BB, but I didn't even mention US, UK, Muslim, Terrorists, Bali Bombers, IRA rebel leaders or Stewie from Family Guys' animation. I know it's just a small point, but it does seem to matter. What I did mention was the lack of freedom of speech in the US. This seems to have escaped your attention.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I think all topics should be discussed,so yes I am pro freedom of speech. However,one must obey the rules of the audience to which you are speaking lest you have no one to listen to you.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Chinese Cookie says.

if one does not worms loose, do not open the can

Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    not to sound like an ass or anything here BB because i like you and all of the TZ people here but if you didnt want people posting links and such then maybe you shouldnt have posted the two that you did it kind of leads people on in a sense to post their own which was just proven by nikto....i could be totally off base here but thats just how im viewing this little problem right now
    I never said anything about not posting links, I just was hoping this post could be about your own personal opinions. The two links I posted were not to back-up my opinion. I didn't cite them as evidence of why I am correct, or you are wrong or as a citation of my opinion.

The links I posted were aimed at getting your opinion from the cartoons.

A political thread this is not. I never posted a single thing about any country. I asked simply what your opinion is on freedom of speech using a cartoon that is in the hot seat at this moment.

I hate to break it to you, BB, but I didn't even mention US, UK, Muslim, Terrorists, Bali Bombers, IRA rebel leaders or Stewie from Family Guys' animation. I know it's just a small point, but it does seem to matter. What I did mention was the lack of freedom of speech in the US. This seems to have escaped your attention.
    And Nikto, why not list the lack of freedom of speech in the world? Why must it be so centered on the US? Have all the other countries escaped your attention? Why can't you just give an opinion without all the animosity or subversive attack?

Denyse and Rohit got the concept, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Denyse

To have an opinion on something you must go through a process to form that opinion. If you are not allowed to discuss certain topics then you cannot form an opinion but must therefore inherit someone elses opinion - the one that told you it was taboo.

Freedom of speech may not always be easy but it is obviously a necessity unless you want somebody else to dictate or restrict your opinions.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?