Thread: It's all above my head

Question It's all above my head

I'm new to this discussion and I'd be really grateful if someone could help me, in incredibly basic language, with my problem. I've just switched to broadband and managed to set it up on one of my computers, using a USB connection because my computer doesn't have an ethernet connection. Neither of my computers is going to be permanently attached to the modem so I intend to use a Belkin wireless router. In order to set up the router I tried to connect my other computer to the modem using an ethernet connection but got a 'Network Adapter Error' saying 'Broadband set-up CD could not renew the IP address for your networkd adapter (DHCP)'. Any ideas for my next move please?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77161

This site shows a problem similar to yours. That person simply unplugged the modem and it sorted itself out.

The modem remembers the IP of the other PC. SO when you unplug it for a while it will then release that IP and search for the new IP on the new ethernet connected PC.

Thanks a lot. It's all sorted out now.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    what also helps is right clicking on your network connection in the taskbar and clicking on repair. This releases/renews your IP and flushes the dns of the network adapter.