Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCLinuxOS - The Distro for Linux Noobs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

PCLinuxOS - The Distro for Linux Noobs

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

If you think all Linux distributions are made the same... think again.

PCLinuxOS is one of the world’s up and coming providers of a Linux Desktop Solution. With a small but dedicated development team, PClinuxOS delivers Desktop Ready Software that harnesses the power of the Open Source Community.

Try it Live

PCLinuxOS allows you to boot directly from the CD and test for hardware compatibility before committing the distribution to your hard drive. You will know right away if PCLinuxOS works with your hardware. This also gives you the ability to run PCLinuxOS from the CD to get comfortable with Linux before considering replacing your existing operating system or setting your computer up in a dual boot mode.

Equipped not stripped

PCLinuxOS comes fully equipped with just about everything a desktop user would want in an operating system. Browse the web, send and recieve emails, chat with friends on Yahoo, MSN, AOL and IRC. Play games, listen to music, share files, rip CDs and watch videos. You can also burn CDs, DVDs, import, view and edit pictures. Our office suite allows you to write letters, do spreadsheets,drawings and slide presentations. Everything you can do with that other OS you can do in PCLinuxOS without worrying about virus infections, adware or spyware.

Safe, Secure and Stable

PCLinuxOS is safe, secure and stable. Linux systems are virtually immune to virus infection from Window viruses. While virus programs do exist in Linux, there are only a handful and mostly set to attack unsecured linux servers not the desktop. With PCLinuxOS you can safely surf the net without worrying about evil websites dropping trojans, virus or spyware on your system without your consent. PCLinuxOS provides the best of breed opensource applications where source code is always under peer review.

Software Updates

PCLinuxOS provides about 4,800 RPM software packages that are easily installed using apt-get with the Synaptic frontend. The Synaptic Software Manager provides a single frontend for installing, updating and removing software from your PCLinuxOS system. Updating your system is easy as 1- Reload file list, 2 Mark all updates and 3 - Click apply. It doesnt get any easier than this!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do you have any mirrors? Because the link they have is slower than a baby brontosaurus in a snow storm.

I started the download today at work and left it running when I left. It'll be done by the time I get back Monday tho...

Which iso should we download?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Like it says it depends on what video card you have. I have an older Nvidia card in my Linux box so I am getting the 7174 version. But if you have a card that isn't mentioned, You can use the generic "p92" version.

Versions - 4 different versions of PCLinuxOS are available depending on your video card.

pclinuxos-p92
    This is the general release iso and works with most video cards using the standard xorg video drivers.

pxlinuxos-p92-ati8500up
    This version contains 3D graphics drivers from ATI.com. The ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the following ATI desktop products: Radeon® X850 series, Radeon® 9200 series, Radeon® X800 series, Radeon® 9000 series, Radeon® X700 series, Radeon® 9700 series, Radeon® X600 series, Radeon® 9550 series, Radeon® X300/X550 series, Radeon® 9500 series, Radeon® 9800 series, Radeon® 9100 series, Radeon® 9600 series and Radeon® 8500 series.

pclinuxos-p92-nvidia7174
    This version contains 3D graphic drivers from nvidia.com. This is a compatibilty release known to work with older tnt2 cards and up. TNT2 , TNT2 Pro, TNT2 Ultra, TNT2 Model 64, Vanta, Vanta LT,GeForce 256, GeForce DDR, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 Pro, GeForce2 Ti, GeForce2 Ultra, GeForce2 MX Integrated graphics and Quadro.

pclinuxos-p92-nvidia7676
    This version contains 3D graphic drivers from nvidia.com. This release gives better performance for newer nvidia products.
    Last edited by rik; February 11th, 2006 at 18:07 PM.

Is it just me or does their logo look a lot like windows?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Too long of a download for me.....Won't leave my system on while away....land of the Brown Outs u know....lol....just ordered the cd instead.

I have been unable to download. It stalls after several hours. Now trying third attempt. If it fails again, I will wait for other people to review it.

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I have been unable to download. It stalls after several hours. Now trying third attempt.
    Stalled again. Will have to rely on others to review.

I have the ISO. I can burn it and send it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I have the ISO. I can burn it and send it if you want.
    Would be great. It shouldn't be necessary, but something is killing my big downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Would be great. It shouldn't be necessary, but something is killing my big downloads.
    Did you try using a download manager? I used flashget and it worked like a camel with elephantitis of the scrotum!

Downloaded flashget. Same results. Download died at 262 MB.

Hmm, I checked mine today and it had done the same thing at around the same size. Trying to download again now at home instead of at work.

[edit]

The download failed at home also.

Anyone been able to get the entire iso?
    Last edited by rik; February 15th, 2006 at 17:51 PM.

ok, I finally got the whole thing downloaded and burned. Seems to work ok...