Thread: Upgraded Sound Card

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Upgraded Sound Card

After Rev posted his new system specs and I drooled for a day or two over his sound card...lol........I decided to invest in a new Sound Blaster...but I needed it more for Sound Recording than gaming so I opted for the X-fi Platinum by Sound Blaster instead of Rev's model....I have a lot of Vinyl records that need to be burned to cd's and this card seems to have the little tools that will get the job done for me....time will tell...will keep u peeps posted....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Excellent

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to the the X-Fi club.

Make sure you have the latest drivers. The ones on my installation CD were dated August 2005.

Creative released some new ones for all the X-Fi cards in November 2005.

Check the date via:
    Device manager > Sounds, video and game controllers > Creative SB X-Fi > Driver tab.
    (When the newer ones are installed the date should be 29/10/2005)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.07.0004 (39.42 MB) 15 Nov 05

This contains an improved version of the driver found on the Sound Blaster X-Fi installation CD. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This contains an improved version of the driver found on the Sound Blaster® X-Fi installation CD.

This driver includes the following application:

Creative Audio Console
    The application enables you to use the Sound Blaster X-Fi features and functions.
    Fixes:

Removes randomly occurring audio distortion that may occur after you install drivers and restart your computer.
    Improves host CPU utilization performance when you play 3D/EAX games.
    Improves the usability of the Bit-Matched Playback feature in Audio Creation Mode.
    Resolves some MIDI/SoundFont compatibility issues.
    Restores EAX presets properly when you select default settings in Entertainment Mode.
    Resolves the issue of a mode console sometimes not responding after you switch modes.
    Restores proper functionality to the EQ sliders when you select EAX effects in Entertainment Mode.
    Removes the error message that sometimes appears in THX Setup Console when you switch modes multiple times.
    Resolves the issue of your computer not responding when you change the Reverb Aux effect in Audio Creation Mode.
    Requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition or Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Sound Blaster X-Fi series audio device
    Select your card here

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks for the heads up Rev....u da man.....

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    cool cards people... let us know about the LP recording.. i have hundreds to digitize too.. but waiting for good cards and software...

I got one of the original Creative 5.1 X-Gamer card... good sound, but loosing out on the newer audigy and now X-Fi finesse

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    cool cards people... let us know about the LP recording.. i have hundreds to digitize too.. but waiting for good cards and software...
    I also invested in the DAX equipment....DAX.com....all the necessary tools to get the job done...bit of a learning curve, but the online support is great...check it out....I just started installing it yesterday so it is still new to me but looks cool so far....will keep u posted.

thx piper.. .will check it out too.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

After playing with the DAX tools yesterday, I took a look at the creative software that comes with the X-fi card and low and behold all the necessary tools are right there....all you need is a turn table and the PC mixer interface...easy as pie to record and edit your vinyl.

nice find then

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member
    On the subject of transfering vinyl records to your 'puter....

If you're serious about recording vinyl, you'll want one of these (or something similar):

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

Simply speaking - a PC (or Mac) is too full of electrical noise for high quality recording. Also, an external card like the M-audio will allow a long cable from the PC to the M-audio, and keep the cables from the M-audio to the recording source short. Like the Creative, the M-audio will output 24/192 sound and record in 24/96.

Oh - be sure to have a qood quality RIAA stage (phono preamp) too. Once you've recorded the LPs and let go of them and/or your turntable, you're stuck with whatever you've recorded. For that reason, I'd keep the original .wav/.aiff files without any processing as well as any processed files (compression, pop/hiss/crackle removal). Just burn a backup to DVD and store in a safe place.

A good cleaning of the vinyl is a far better solution than to remove surface noise in the digital domain. Any processing you do in the digital domain will remove information, and make the final product sound deader and more lifeless. Information lost cannot be recovered in a meaningful way. Always sample at the best sampling rate you can 'afford' in terms of disk space.

Disk space is cheap - if you can, use lossless compression.

Oh - and never keep a single copy of the stuff on your hard drive! Keep a backup copy on CD/DVDs or a separate hard drive that is NOT connected to the PC. If your drive crashes, or you get hit with a worm/virus that targets media files, you'll probably loose what's on your computer. You don't want to do all that recording over again...

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

That's what the creative component which comes with x-fi looks like....fits into a 5 1/4 bay....so far the recordings are coming thru clean as a whistle.....thanks for the tips.

looks good fenalaar... i have a simple box (M-BOX) a couple years older, but does siimilar A-D conversion

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    That's what the creative component which comes with x-fi looks like....fits into a 5 1/4 bay....so far the recordings are coming thru clean as a whistle.....thanks for the tips.
    Ah - but the idea is to keep it outside the case, not inside.

The M-audio box is a selfcontained unit with a firewire connection to the PC/Mac. No sensitive audio stuff inside the PC.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.