Thread: Still CANNOT sort simple Win2K network.

Still CANNOT sort simple Win2K network.

I've posted previously about trying to set up a simple connection between 2 Win2K PCs with a twisted-pair cable directly between their ethernet adapters.

But it still doesn't work right! My PC can see my wife's OK although sometimes it requires me to login to gain access. My wife's PC can sometimes see mine but is flaky in this way and we can't see why. Internet sharing is one of the main things we want and so far it just doesn't work at all.

I've read guides on how to do this all and been guided step-by-step over the phone by a technical guy... here's what I have so far:

• My PC \\PC1 and my wife's pc \\PC2 on workgroup Group
    • PC1 has fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 since it's the one with the modem, PC2 has fixed IP of 192.168.0.254
    • in the system32\drivers\etc\hosts file each PC has the other's name and IP specified, plus localhost as 127.0.0.1 and no others (I think)
    • no default gateways are set up on either PC, primary DNS is the default of 255.255.255.0 and there are no WINs settings
    • In the settings for the dialup adapter on PC1 I have checked the "share this conection" box, this adapter is supporting TCP/IP, file+printer sharing and Windows logon
    • The dialup adapter is using automatic IP allocation since the ISP doesn't guarantee it to be the same each time

What is missing? Do I need gateways set up? Is it because it's a direct link not a hub/switch-based affair? Should I use a domain instead of a workgroup? AAARGH!

Are you using a "CrossOver" cable between the PC's?

The special kind for direct PC-to-PC links? Yes. Surely I would get nothing to work at all if it was a normal network cable!

What protocols (TCP/IP, NetBUEI etc) do you have in you Local Area Connection?

I'll have to confirm this at home but I definitely have TCP/IP. I think I've also got Client for Microsoft Windows & File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows.
    Is there anything I definitely should or should not have?

If you have NetBUEI then take it out, you shouldnt need it. Also if you have Internet Connection Sharing on \\PC1 then on \\PC2 in the TCP/IP properties change the IP address to obtain an IP address automatically. Make sure \\PC1 is turned on and in windows, then restart \\PC2. Hopefully this will fix your problems.