Thread: I'd like a rack of hard drives....

I'd like a rack of hard drives....

with honey mustard sauce, please.

Seriously, I would like to add more hard drives to my machine without all the SCSI bother and it dawned on me that the networking folks might be able to show me a way to make a central server in my house.

I figured it would be like a rack with a server doo jiggy to keep them organized, right?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if you have an ol' box laying around just install the os and a few promise cards then this will allow you to add 4 more ide drives per card. and with a few 250 gig drives you can enter the realm of the t-byte gang.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/P...rMansRaid.aspx

Awsome project that you could undertake.

That's what I'm talking about.
    I'm going to build a cabinet on the wall here at the computer desk. I'll be able to open a door, handily reach into the cabinet and change video cards, quickly install a new......I dunno....maybe a PROMISE card. If I have to, I'll be able to speedily swap motherboards without snapping them in half behind the drive cage anymore. Of course I'll put i the obligatory useless LED lights and blinky thingys for effect. Finish it with oak and a smoke gray LEXAN cover and I got me a very fashionable "Killer Rig".
    Practically speaking, I'll save desk space, get better cooling, keep it cleaner and I won't have to keep band-aids in my tool box any more.
    If I add your drive rack under the desk, I will use the cabinet as the central server for smaller work staions all over the house.
    GREAT site, Boog. If I weren't so lazy, I could surf for stuff like that myself.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morania
    That's what I'm talking about.
    I'm going to build a cabinet on the wall here at the computer desk. I'll be able to open a door, handily reach into the cabinet and change video cards, quickly install a new......I dunno....maybe a PROMISE card. If I have to, I'll be able to speedily swap motherboards without snapping them in half behind the drive cage anymore. Of course I'll put i the obligatory useless LED lights and blinky thingys for effect. Finish it with oak and a smoke gray LEXAN cover and I got me a very fashionable "Killer Rig".
    Practically speaking, I'll save desk space, get better cooling, keep it cleaner and I won't have to keep band-aids in my tool box any more.
    If I add your drive rack under the desk, I will use the cabinet as the central server for smaller work staions all over the house.
    GREAT site, Boog. If I weren't so lazy, I could surf for stuff like that myself.

That's what SHE said too.

Got my rack

I just built my killer rig with an Antec P18o case. It has a lower chamber that will accommodate 4 drives. I'll put four 60's and 80' in there on a nice Promise card I just got.

Kinda redundant. I put two 320's in the main chamber. But this box is the storage for the other machines in the house so it should last us quite a while.

Did I mention that I finally saved enough for my killer rig? I could've made it more killer but gotta think budget. Ya know?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thanks for the update Morania... that definitely sounds like a killer rig! What other parts do you have? XPU etc?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well (shyly) long as you're asking...

It all sits on an MSI K9N board, SLI of course. I put on a Athlon 64 XP. 2.2 Gig. Dual core kicks ass and I just saw that the quad cores are in machines now.

I threw in two sticks of matched 1G memory. Kingston. No bargain stix this time.

Video card is the GForce 7900 with the extra gadget that I forgot what it's called. I don't even think it was important but the price wasn't bad so I got it.

Floppy? hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Came with the cable and I have one in the old machine that's new but never would play nice with Win XP. Why bother these days?

Two DVD drives by LG. Nice drives. Quiet and smooth. Found them by accident.

Two Barracuda hard drives, 320g each. And I already mentioned that I'm putting in the drive rack in the bottom of the case. Reformatting will be a snap. No more complicated backups.

The Antec case is cool. Easy to load up. I put in a 600W power supply.

The rig weighs 42 pounds before the second drive rack is installed.

This isn't the biggest, baddest rig you'll find but for the money, I think I did pretty well.

All I know is that Q4 needs heavy duty rendering. With my new back lit Saitek keyboard, I can play in the dark and scare myself to death.

This ought to last me about three years? It's supposed to keep up with DX10 gadgets for a while.
    Last edited by Morania; February 22nd, 2007 at 15:24 PM.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Great rig.It's fun to be a power user isn't it?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yes, that's definitely a power-user computer! Congrats, you should be quite competitive in Q4 for some time to come Cheers

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I thought I'd get ragged for using AMD processors. I've never used anything else.
    They aren't the most respected gear around.

oh no way... there are some big AMD users on this forum... they are definitely bang-for-buck the best processors! Although, at the top-end they are starting to lag behind.. but im sure they'll make a come back soon! cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The tech war winners see-saw back and forth. I have stock in both Intel and AMD and I can watch the prices and tell whose got the "latest greatest".
    I'm all about the dollar. "Bang for the buck is me." I can't see paying for a little sticker- 'Pretentious Power User Inside".

AMD- SUpermarket to the world. No. Wait. I screwed that up.

good thinking

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---