Thread: Power DVD cant play avi files more - [FIXED]

Question Power DVD cant play avi files more - [FIXED]

After I upgraded Powerdvd to 6.0 from 4.0, it could only show picture on a few avi files, and they did not show on the tv screen more as before, when they showed on both pc and tv

I reinnstalled the previous version, and then no avi files works, and not when I inntsall 6.0 again either. That means theres only sound and no picture
    What can have happened, and how can I get back the picture, anyone know?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stadacone
    After I upgraded Powerdvd to 6.0 from 4.0, it could only show picture on a few avi files, and they did not show on the tv screen more as before, when they showed on both pc and tv

I reinnstalled the previous version, and then no avi files works, and not when I inntsall 6.0 again either. That means theres only sound and no picture
    What can have happened, and how can I get back the picture, anyone know?
    I would totally remove PowerDVD from your system. Make sure you've removed all folders and files and any traces of it.

Then I would try reinstalling the program using the 6.0 version.

Next I would check your codecs. Try using the Ace Mega Codecs or the Kazaa Mega codecs.

IF that doesn't work try doing a system restore back to the 4.0 version. Then uninstall it. Then try to reinstall the latest version.

Also check your video card drivers, and play around with the hardware acceleration in your graphic card properties.

Yes that helped, I removed everything, also everything I could find in the registry.. still no picture, but then I installed those Ace Mega Codecs and it seems to be fixed. It also installed something called BSplayer, which must have been included with these codecs? Well, it looks like a nice medisplayer

Thanks a lot

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yes bs player is my winamp for video files. and I use powerdvd for dvd or vobs.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I actually switched to the VLC player and haven't had a hiccup... though I do use Media Player Classic from time to time.

VLC is basic, but then I don't care about the skin of the player.. I just want it to play the file and play it well. VLC takes care of that for me.

Yes I prefer VLC as player also, the reason I want to have Powerdvd available, is because this is the only player that show the picture screen on PC and Tv at the same time when the screencard is set as "clone".

The other players shows only a black window on the secondary screen, but Powerdvd show picture on both for some reason. Of cause you can just switch what to be standard screen, but its nice that the picture shows on both, so you dont have to switch

One thing about VLC; how can you save "skin 2" on this player? Its the bottom one on the pic below. I would like to use that one, because its an easier volume-button. The volume adjusting in the standard skin is quite strange and difficult to control I think, I'm not shure if I understand how its really meant to be used
    Last edited by stadacone; March 1st, 2006 at 16:03 PM.