Thread: REQ: Microsoft Windows Security CD 2004

REQ: Microsoft Windows Security CD 2004

It was the first big security CD Microsoft issued. I am looking for a link to download this. I've lost my cd I got in the mail way back when Microsoft offered it. And the backup I made must be scratched or something. I get nada off of it.

It's the one that also included the ezTrust (I think) free trial CD, etc. I don't care about that. I'm trying to get the Security Updates. This one covers XP on down to 98 and is labeled Feb 2004. I frequently work on older computers for friends and family. Most of them don't have XP.

Every link I've found and tried in Google redirects me to the XP Sp2 update. It has a place to click for older systems, but it just takes me back to the XP updates since I'm using XP myself. And I already have that.

Finding a link on ftp or http would be great. Torrents and I don't get along.
    I'm on broadband so I can get the whole darned thing pretty easily if I could just find it.

Thanks for your help.
    mommabear

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I have the actual CD somewhere at home. but its only updated upto Feb2004... doesnt even have the blaster/sasser patches...

AND, i think it only worked for 2000/XP not 9X...

Anyway, if i find it, and it works, then i'll post back.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    I have the actual CD somewhere at home. but its only updated upto Feb2004... doesnt even have the blaster/sasser patches...

AND, i think it only worked for 2000/XP not 9X...

Anyway, if i find it, and it works, then i'll post back.
    This first one is for all systems, up to XP. It's the second one that they issued that is only for 2000/XP.

The Feb 2004 is the one I'm looking for. I have most of the updates and patches that came after archived to a CD for individual manual installation.

It used to be that you could go to Microsoft and find all updates for each system fairly easily, regardless of what operating system you had on your computer. But you can't do that now. At least I don't think so. Everything I click that I think will get me to an older system list, plops me back to "you are using XP". (I know that! lol!)

I've also found a site or two that archive the individual 98/Me patches, but none of them have a copy of the Feb 2004 CD for download.

Thanks for looking for it.

Gold Member
    Hey mommabear, I have that disk pack that you mentioned. The title on the pack is called "Security Update CD, February 2004" There are two disks as you said. One is the Security CD and the other is EZ Armor LE. If I look on the back of the packet I see this "0204 Part No. X10-41514" Not sure if that helps or not. Would it be legal for me to burn and send you a copy ?
    Or is there another way to get it to you ?

Hi mike13, thanks for your offer! I don't think there is any problem with legality since Microsoft sent it out for free...including free shipping.

Have you ever sent files over rapidshare, megaupload, or the like? There is a site called YouSENDIt at http://www.yousendit.com/.

I've used it a couple of times. They will accept files up to 1GB in size. I think that's plenty big enough for this CD. (and I don't need the ezTrust part.)

What you could do (if it's not too much trouble) is put the Security CD in your drive and stop it if it starts to auto-run. Then go to My Computer, to the drive it's in, and right-click, choose Explore. Then in the right side your screen it will show all of the files on the disk. Highlight all of the files and folders you see, right click and send them to a zip file anyplace on your computer. That zip file is what you could upload to YouSendIt. If you're on a dial up it would probably take quite awhile, so you really don't have to do that, if you don't want to. I'm just telling you about another way. But if you do, let me know and I'll PM you with my email address so YouSendIt can tell me where to go get it. Then I can burn it myself.

However....I might have located a copy I made for one of my daughters. I asked her to look in her pile of CD's I've made over the years when I've worked on their 3 computers. lol! She thinks she may have found one, but she's a busy "soccer mom" though, so it's hard telling when I can get with her and actually look at it. But there is no big hurry about this.

So, if you want to hold off a bit until I can get with her, that's fine. And/or if uploading it won't work for you, then I can get with you later to arrange paying you for the postage etc, so you can send me a copy of yours.

Could that be a plan? Just let me know what you want to do.

Thanks again.

Gold Member
    Since I have cable internet, I would like to try and send you the files tonight using your instructions, if you PM your e-mail address, and if that is OK with you. Maybe I will learn something today ! Not real sure about that ZIP thing though, but will give it a try. Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Please continue this discussion via PM.

Thanks.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

questions..

hello,

New on this forum I must already thank you for the French link under "Windows98 Second Edition Unofficial Service Pack 2" ! Indeed I'm trying to get some clean (and fairly quick) install for the old PC(which needs a format) of my mum(who has internet 56K).

I'm also interrested in this "Microsoft Windows Security CD 2004" (which seems to be the only one released).
    Few questions about it:
    Does it contain the same updates as in the service pack(which is more recent)? (if yes lets forget about it..)
    Is this also language dependant? (if yes i might install the whole lot in english..)
    Can someone share it? (found no site where available for download..weird)

thanks,

follow up

In the meantime I've got the CD! But in english ..should I look further for a french version(it seems that was released)? Or just install?

Other question. On the microsoft catalog I'm trying to download 98 updates released after february 2004 with my winXP but it doesn't work (always "failed"). Anyone any clue? It seems to download but doesn't save..

Try here for old updates although I imagine they'd all be in English.
    Code:
    http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#W98