Thread: No success copying HD to HD with Norton Ghost 2003

No success copying HD to HD with Norton Ghost 2003

The HD I want to copy from (source drive) is my master drive. The HD I want to copy to (Destination) is my slave.

I've tried twice to make a copy and both times I get "Invalid Destination. Drive Error 11030. Drive not copied."

My XPSP2 (which is on both master and slave) is working just fine.

Suggestions as to what I can try to correct the problem needed and would be appreciated.

I could try Acronis but I did a copy successfully some time ago durig the trial period which has now run out. So now to use it I must buy it but I'm not quite ready to spend the $50 it costs and at this point it could not work for the same reason Ghost 2003 isn't working.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Would this work? Make my HD I want to copy to my only HD (jumper it as master). Now do a clean install which should format it and reinstall XPSP2. (I have my Windows XP CD slipstreamed with SP2). Now make that my slave drive, and make the drive I want to copy from my master.

or can I just do this on my slave drive as things are now--that is with the copy-from drive the master and the copy-to drive the slave?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    have a look here,
    http://www.partition-saving.com/

free program that will do what you want

never used it
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, the following might be helpful to someone someday. I came across it poking around the net after I started this post.

"The problem occurs because the hard drive has been changed. Did you install another hard drive? Is the present hard drive installed correctly? Check if the present hard drive is bad. Use the manufacturer utility to check"

I certainly think my drive is installed correctly because it works like any normal drive. Earlier I had installed a new HD as my master drive - not sure what exactly "Did you install another HD" is referring to. I'll do a mfg utility check and post results here.

I tried to get a mfg utility check from the mfg (Samsung...the drive is SV4002H and is no longer manufactured). Biut though I found a file I could download (SV4002H HUTIL V. 1.21) (had to run it in DOS) the email link to ask about it simply would NOT work. And XP's chkdsk says the r and p parameters you need to do the checking can be used only if in the recovery console. Probably simpler to just buy a new HD and hope. I hate to junk this one which works just fine as my slave and spend $50 for a new drive until I am pretty sure this one IS no good.

Hey,Im not to sure on your problem as i dont use norton ghost,but i just wanted to say that Acronis TrueImage will do exactly what you are looking for.I purchased the program after it was recommended to me from the guys here at TZ and the program works wonderfully.

As for the possibility of a bad HDD i doubt it would cause a problem unless it was dead.I actually got acronis for much the same reason.My main HDD was almost dead and i wanted to copy it to a spare HDD i had put away.I added the new HDD as slave and copied the drive over to the new one.Disconnected the original and moved the slave into master position and all has been working great since.Good luck.