Thread: computer start-up problem

computer start-up problem

My computer recently stopped starting up correctly, when I turn on the CPU it powers up but nothing happens, or it turns on and the compaq logo appears on the screen and freezes, it does not go beyond that. Windows doesn't run, nothing. Does anyone have an idea as to what is going wrong and how I could possibly fix it? Any help would be great. Thanks.

The computer runs on WinXp Pro SP2, AMD Athlon 1.67 GHZ, 256MB Ram, with a 40GB hard drive

Sounds like you operation system my have crashed. You can try to do a repair of your XP Pro using the recovery consol. Or just reinstall Windows it self.

i'll try that, thanks!
    this might be a silly question but is there any way to salvage the files i had saved on the hard drive by removing it and putting it on another cpu or has everything been lost?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You can try loading it as a Slave disk on someone elses PC and then try to copy files off it if the drive still works.

Hard disk enclosures

If you have time, there are some inexpensive drive enclosure that will allow you to do what Conan is talking about but with a USB port.
    Conan's idea is the fastest "get you stuff, get puting again" though.

Speaking of, we have a bunch of hard drives in enclosures now for back-up and in case of a crash, we can just swap drives and get moving without worrying about our files so much anymore. It's probably more money than we should spend but I'm too lazy to partition my drives.

thanks a lot conan and morania for the help. to remove the disk should i just unplug the cables? i know how to install it but to remove it should i just remove the cables?

Hello enderby,Yes to remove the drive all you need to do is turn off the PC and disconnect power to it.Then disconnect the IDE and power cable from the drive.

I also agree with Morania.Having a slave drive or even external drives are the best way to back up your data.I never use partitions because of the fact it wouldnt really help you in most cases if the drive is about to die or gets damaged.

Thanks bhxtyrant. Thank you all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by enderby
    i'll try that, thanks!
    this might be a silly question but is there any way to salvage the files i had saved on the hard drive by removing it and putting it on another cpu or has everything been lost?
    Another tool that is great for recovery of lost data is this http://www.pctools.com/file-recover/?ref=google_fr look for the program restorer 2000 I use it at work and home to reover lost data. It works pretty good. It will recover almost any thing.