Thread: make a used HD blank like a new drive?

make a used HD blank like a new drive?

If you're wondering why I would want to do that, here's why.

I tried Norton Ghost 2003 to copy my master drive to my slave drive and got the message "Invalid Destination Drive". I simply have no idea as to what was wrong with my destination drive; it was working just fine as a (slave) drive. With no idea as to what caused that message and no idea of how to solve the problem, the question in my subject occurred to me. I suppose I could buy and try Acronis for $50 or a new HD for $50 but that's epensive.

I suppose I could do a clean install (per michaelstevenstech.com) but that will install XP since a clean install involves getting the process going with my XP CD. I don't want XP on the destination drive since if I copy my entire master drive, XP would of course be there. If I go the clean installl route I'll have to activate and I just did that not long ago and MS might object. I just figured if I could make the current slave drive blank, that perhaps THEN I would be able to copy my master drive with Ghost 2003 without getting the aforementioned message and I'd be all set.

Is my idea here doable...feasible?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If it's the Slave disk, go to My Computer, right-click the drive and choose Format.

Thanks, Conan. I read the following on the net recently.

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

Exactly what files are removed in the formatting process?

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    If it's the Slave disk, go to My Computer, right-click the drive and choose Format.
    Hey, let's assume you wanted to for some reason--can't think of one at the moment), wouldn't you do exactly the same thing?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Thanks, Conan. I read the following on the net recently.

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

Exactly what files are removed in the formatting process?
    the instructions conan gave dont exactly remove the files but del the fat table allowing you to over write the data. if you want to del the files for good(for the most part) you want to go to the manuf. website and they usually have a utility that you copy to hard drive to do low-level formats.but for the most part conan's advice should be fine for what youre doing.

That's what I suspected was the case, Phish, but now I'm sure (and I like to be SURE!) Thanks!