Thread: Can't play DVD's anymore

Gold Member

Can't play DVD's anymore

I formatted my hard drive to install XP Pro on my Dell Dimension 5150. Dell is too cheap to give you the discs that you need to reinstall the OS and software programs that came installed on the computer. It probably saves them about 25 cents for the two discs that it would have required. Anyway after about 10 hours or so I was able to get everything installed except for whatever I need to use the DVD player. Can someone give me a link to whatever free program that I need to play videos again. My service tag on the Dell Dimension is 8F85891 if that is of any help. Thank you.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you just want basic playback:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

and a codec pack:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/ACE_Mega_...k_download.htm

That should do I think.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    They will send you the discs if you call and request them.

Gold Member
    Thanks BB, it now works. Wasen't sure which of the twp programs I needed, so I downloaded both of them. As I said above, it now works. Many thanks.
    rik-thanks for the reply, but have you ever tried calling Dell ? It takes about 10 minutes before you ever get to speak to a real person.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes I have called them. Sometimes it takes less than 10 minutes, sometimes more. But if you want those discs it could be worth the wait.

And don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that it's right to have to wait, but we do what we have to do. I had to wait for about 75 minutes the other day when calling the phone company...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    Thanks BB, it now works. Wasen't sure which of the twp programs I needed, so I downloaded both of them. As I said above, it now works. Many thanks.
    rik-thanks for the reply, but have you ever tried calling Dell ? It takes about 10 minutes before you ever get to speak to a real person.
    Glad you got it sorted out! VLC is just one player to play DVDs. But I use it on every PC I have. It's small, uses little resources, and plays almost every kind of file you want to play.

And that codec pack is very extensive as well.