Thread: Floppy drive(s) won't read disks.

Floppy drive(s) won't read disks.

I went for years without a floppy drive because the first one in this machine failed. I'm doing a project that requires one so I plunked down some geeda and got another one.
    I says that any disk I put in is not formatted and that it can't be formatted when I try. All disks I put in. New. Out of the package I bought today.
    Now that I think about it, that's what the old one started doing when I s*$&-canned it. Now I think I have disk controller issues.
    I removed the floppy and restarted so window might try to put in groovy new drivers. No luck.
    I'm not real crazy about messing with my motherboard drivers but doesn't it sound like I have to? I don't think that this new drive could be bad in exactly the way the old one was.

You know I hate 'moticons but I thought I'd run with the pack for a few minutes.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morania
    I went for years without a floppy drive because the first one in this machine failed. I'm doing a project that requires one so I plunked down some geeda and got another one.
    I says that any disk I put in is not formatted and that it can't be formatted when I try. All disks I put in. New. Out of the package I bought today.
    Now that I think about it, that's what the old one started doing when I s*$&-canned it. Now I think I have disk controller issues.
    I removed the floppy and restarted so window might try to put in groovy new drivers. No luck.
    I'm not real crazy about messing with my motherboard drivers but doesn't it sound like I have to? I don't think that this new drive could be bad in exactly the way the old one was.

You know I hate 'moticons but I thought I'd run with the pack for a few minutes.
    Try a new Floppy Drive.. hell most of them are less than $20 US dollars... if that doesn't work, it could be a cable issue or a motherboard problem.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Might also try clearing the NVRAM and resetting the BIOS defaults. But like BB stated, I would try new hardware first.

Also if you havent already might want to check the lock on the floppy's just in case.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Also if you havent already might want to check the lock on the floppy's just in case.
    Just to see what would happen I locked the disk and tried it. The machine recognized that the disk was write protected.

I've tried these and they won't let me open the disk. "This disk is not formatted." Then all the blah blah about let's format it and then tell me that it can't be formatted.

I've been trying to come up with any hits about the disk drive controller from Soyo.

i'd go with new floppy drive. they're cheap and easy. but, other than what's already been said:

does the disk work in other machines?

have you formatted a disk with that floppy drive, and then tried to use that floppy disk in the floppy drive?

is the floppy hardware device configured correctly in the computer manager?

Been there, done that.

The only thing I haven't tried is putting the thing into another computer but I don't think it's worth the effort:

Floppies are bull****. Useless. The only reason I needed this was to apply for a clearance with the Navy. Apparently the military is another organization besides my company that uses unreliable data storage.

This problem isn't uncommon with Windows XP. I think I threw away a perfectly good drive a while back. I'm finding posts and search results about it but with no solutions.

I'm going to do my application and put it on a mini-CD. I have lots of them, they work, and every machine on earth has a CD-ROM no matter what OS its using.

The only thing that kills me is that I used to be so nerdy about this that I would have stayed up for days till I solved it. I'd rather play some Quake nowadays.

I do appreciate the input from everyone and someday if I get thte problem right, this thread is going to surface again and I'll be a genius. MWA-hahahahahaha.

It is indeed a strange issue.To be honest i have been using XP pro since it's release and to this day i havent encountered this issue or anything close to it with the exception of a few bad floppy's/floppy drives.

Did you previously have a floppy drive installed in the PC in question?if so did it ever function properly?

And yes i couldn't agree more.Floppy drives are practically dead.I have them in my PC's but havent used them in ages.I much more prefer CD-R's and DVD-R's these days.Much more reliable not to mention the quanity of storage they provide.

Did it ever work?

I think it did.
    When I built the machine, I installed Win 98 and the drive had to have run the boot disk. My new mother board hated Win98 so I got a copy of XP, booted from CD-ROM and never looked back. I bought licenses for the other machines on our network and I don't think we ever used the floppies again.

There is one still installed in another desk top machine here. I'll probably just send some work to there from here to see if it works. If so, I MAY (might) try to switch drives for the hell of it.

Just in case I "just gotta know."

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

The floppy killer.

I wear one around my neck at my job. We have desk computers located far from each other.

Bronze Member
    Ah - the wonders of sneakernet

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.