Thread: Windows Media Player help

Windows Media Player help

So last night I had the urge to burn a CD, but low and behold, Windows Media Player seems to be out to ruin my life and wont let me. I pursue the issue for an hour or so before I get tired and decide to go to bed and deal with the annoyance tomorrow. Well, Tomorrow is here and I still want to burn a CD. and despite all my best efforts, I am still denied this simple pleasure. so anyway heres the deal, i have a list of songs about eighteen of them, and i click start burn with a clean empty unused blank CD-R in the drive.... and it sits there for three or four seconds and then I get the Start Burn button again, no popup warnings, no blue screen of death, it simply lets me push the button, thinks for a second and doesnt do anything, anything at all..... so if anyone could give me some advice id greatly appreciate it, thank you in advance

Have you tried using an alternate program for burning to try and determine if the problem is being caused by media player itself or the media/hardware you are using?Also have you checked your device manager to make sure your burner is functioning properly?

I thought about using another program.... but its such a pain cuz i have all my music on windows media player and its all organized and everything.... but i might have to try that.... burn a test cd i suppose, and everything is fine in my device manager except the netqork adapter which has had a little yellow exclamation mark by it for going on two year and i cant figure out why, but it doesnt affect anything so thats dont bug me..... but yeah... i suppose ill try another program and post what happens

I would recommend using one of the free trial burning programs or a freeware alternative for a test.Also what version of Media Player are you using?Since the problem first surfaced have you installed any media player updates or updates for your burner firmware?Here is a link to Nero Express trial version which may help you out.

Nero Express

On another note reguarding the network adapter are you on a home network,cable or DSL internet connection?or 56k dial up?If the network adapter is enabled but has nothing connected that would be why you get the yellow exclamation mark.

Are the music files WMA or MP3? WMP may refuse to let you copy WMA files more than a couple of times due to "Digital Rights Management". MP3 is not restricted. You may have to download the MP3 codec to convert the files DRB

alright well i think i figured it out, the problem mainly seems to have been with my own intelligence..... but its one of five songs that wont allow the cd to burn.... so thanks for the help guys but i think i have it down..

and on another note i really dont know what the deal is with my network adapters.... apparently i have four of them and apparently three of them have exclamations marks, one being Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - FREEDOM Miniport, the next being Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - FREEDOM Miniport, and the third being WAN Miniport (IP) - FREEDOM Miniport. The only one that doesnt have a mark is Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (this one just doesnt have the FREEDOM Miniport). and i honestly dont know what any of that means.... but if you know anything about it i wont ignore your advice, thanks again for the help

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    On the network adapters....you need to update the mother board drivers or drivers for the network cards if thats what you have. If you're not using the network you can disable them in the bios, remove the network cards. You can also right click on the "yellow exclamation mark" and choose "Disable"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    or remove all of em from Device Manager and reboot. What ever comes back, install the drivers for.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I 2nd that.