Thread: Webroot Spysweeper

Webroot Spysweeper

I like the idea of having a guard at the front door like Spysweeper says.
    I've had this annoyance for a long time and was determined to solve it myself instead of crying for help here. God knows that some of my stupid questions have caused BB to spit on the floor! I get so many tips from him that I've started a notebook and don't want to get on his "always ignore this guy" list. It went like this,...
    Sitting with the 'putr idle, I'd hear the HD accessing about every 30sec. Went to Taskmanager(performance) and there are 40% spikes on both CPU's every thirty seconds(WinXP Home only uses one CPU). in the interavl b\w the spikes, the TM screen does a series of 11-13 pulses\flashes. Went to TM running processes and watched for what CPU duty changed. It was Spysweeper. I took it out and the flashing\pulsing stopped and I get a spike of <10% about every 2-3 minutes(probably normal). The question is - is this the behavior of SpySweeper or is something "Nudging" Sweeper into action every 30sec? This program takes 54M of RAM. Pretty heavy. DRB

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    That's Spy Sweeper for ya! I hate it.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

I have spysweeper on 2 machines - it doesn't do that on either and takes up 13M of ram.

Decided to elaborate a bit-
    You can find if your security softwares are conflicting in part by disabling various features. Obviously many softwares will have same function and will interfere in some way with each others operations - not always but sometimes this is bad and may create a problem.

As an example Spysweeper needs to access memory of other processes to check their validity and some other security programs may interfere with or prevent that (process guard springs to mind). Anyway just go into the SS shields page and disable them all (not great for security ). As SS isn't doing anything there should be no problem now. Take your time and re-activate the shields one at a time until you get your problem back - woohoo, you discovered the one that does it.

Once you find which shield/s cause a conflict you can decide what to do with them and maybe discover what they interfere with - my bet would be Antivirus and Firewall programs with some kind of resident scanner or memory protection. If the other program covers the same ground you can decide which one to leave active or go onto Webroot website and check for advice.

Lots of softwares have conflicts with other softwares especially when the functions overlap. Your choice is usually to disable features or ditch one of them.
    Last edited by Curio; May 7th, 2006 at 09:34 AM. Reason: asistance for the technologically challenged
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Ss

Thanks Curio,
    I've been working on a couple of small glitches on this box as time permits. Spring is a really busy time for me. I agree that it's a "conflict" problem. I'm not happy with NAV. Each time it loads/unloads or I turn it on or off, the HD buzzes for a second (only the Auto-Protect portion). That isn't good for the life of the HD. It seems to have it its fingers into everything and I only need it to watch the internet and to scan an occasional file. I'll let you know how it works out. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I'm not happy with NAV.
    Hmm NAV is Curio's favorite word

NAV - The way it works is that it makes your computer so slow and unstable that no other malware can be bothered to wait around long enough to get in.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?