Thread: Status of a brand new unused HD

Status of a brand new unused HD

My question: is a drive as described in my subject partitioned in any way or is it just blank, blank, blank with nothing on it.

Behind my question is this related question. If I just want to clone my primary drive would I need to partition the new drive first or can I just go ahead and clone primary drive to new one and simply end up with an exact and working copy of my primary drive? (If it matters I'm happy with 1 big partition...that's all I've ever used...that and one O/S, in my case and currently XP.)
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Typically a new drive is totally blank and has to be partitioned and formatted. If you are just adding a drive into an existing system you should be able to accomplish all of this thru the Drive Management console in Windows XP.

But why shoud it need to be partitioned when my current HD wil be cloned to it? I mean the clone would be an exact copy, would it not, and so would be automatically partitioned just as the source drive was partitioned?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    you will want to format the new drive so you can use any left over space after the clone
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that info, egghead. Now, have you any suggestions as to what this message is telling me. When I try and clone my master drive with Ghost 2003, I get this message: "Error 11030 Invalid Destination Drive." Microsoft says that Error 11030 is "An invalid shaping rate object was found in the QOS provider-specific buffer." I got nowhere with 2 Symantec Techs, or with MS User groups, or with 2 online sites who answer questions. If it's new to you, where or who would you turn to for answers if you were me? Call Microsoft, pay $30 + cost of phone call and hope I get a tech who has the answer? I tried to chat and to email my problem but they said my XP product ID # indicated I was not eligible for free email, chat or phone help. Buggers. I didn't buy it from a manufacturer, just a small local repair place.

Correction: "They" in the last paragraph refers to Microsoft!