Thread: Connecting to a remote LAN

Silver Member

Connecting to a remote LAN

i hope this is the right place to pos this message im not quite sure but anyway here goes nothin...ok me and a bunch of my pals all play video games and every so often have lan parties and get together to kill each other then gloat about it to their faces and every so often a good game comes out that maybe one or two of us will get and someone else wants it to they install and then crack it and i know techzonez doesnt condone cracking of games but anyway here the ordeal when this happens the cd isnt valid such as any of you probably know so what i was wondering if lets say me and only one of my other friends want to play a bit but dont wanna toat our comp to the other ones house since its pointless or during the week which i have school and kind of cant go around all of the place...i know theres certain programs out there that let you set up a server and let others from remote locations conenct to it so they can be connected to your network and everything maybe its a proxy server or something im not quite sure but what i was wondering is what type of programs should i look for to host a server and then what type of program should i look for to then connect to that server....that is if my idea even works....have my other friends connect to my server so they can see my network and play lan games(is there even a way to do this or am i completely wasting my time)?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    your best bet is to rent a hosted game server from an ISP or something like that... then you can play on the internet from any computer, with low lag...

Or... as i did, you can set up your own game server at home, allow the ports through your firewall, forward the ports in the router and then play your games...

There's no real need for LAN connection or VPN etc programs... most multiplayer games have inbuilt dedicated server options, like Call of Duty, and Battlefield series etc...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    yes i know all that already but the problem is if you dont have a legal cd key and are using one found on the internet it wont let you play so i was wondering if there was a program to set up a server on your own comp that allows other ppl (my friends) to connect to my network and then possibly be able to play the games over the lan connection in the game instead since we cant play on the actual internet because of invalid cd keys

yes thats why i said you create your own.. then, u can change a built in setting that the game developer added

if that doesnt work, then you might be out of luck. check ebay for some cheap games

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    ahhh i missed that so what ports are you supposed to allow through your firewall because i know how to do that part and then how do you foward ports? also just curious but how does that allow other invalid cd keys to join the game? tryin to learn as much as i can here u know

Silver Member
    also for games such as most wanted that doesnt have the option of just starting a dedicated server (i dont think so anyone ill look into it some more) that would be the reason why i was wanting to do what i was asking

it doesnt, it just allows direct connections to your computer.

Depending on the games you play, different ports need to be opened and forwarded... COD uses tcp/udp 28960 (default) but these can be manually changed ingame.

check out http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=191667 it gives good background info on ports and running direct connect games... thats probably all we can help you with.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    ok thanks a lot cash but also if anyone else has any info on the subject please shed some light thanks again

Silver Member
    either im stupid or too tired i dunno one or the other but that doesnt help me out too much but ill look at it agian tomorrow who knows maybe somethign will click but right now its time to sleep

How did u go on this problem Nate?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---