Thread: Printer Question

Printer Question

Hey guys,
    I had a question reguarding a printer hopefully someone could help me with.Today i was givin a damaged Lexmark P3150.The original problem was that the printer would always jam whenever printing was attempted.Which i managed to solve after disassembling the printer.

Now during the time the owner had this printer after the problem started they stored the printer in a box with ink catridges still installed.Somehow one of the catridges leaked getting ink on the little circuit board which connects to the circuit on the back of the ink catridge.I wanted to ask what would be the appropriate way of cleaning this as to not damage it any further.Printing still seems to work fine except on occasion the printer seems to not detect that a catridge is installed.At the moment the ink is still wet and i managed to get a majority of it off using a cotten swab(dry of course).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me any pointers on this.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I hear denatured alcohol and a cotton swab does wonders to clean circuitry, http://www.logwell.com/tech/servtips/cleaning.html

Agree. As long as you make sure it is totally dry before trying to use it.

When I can't get denatured alcohol, I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and compressed air. I have used it several times. It will leave a slight residue when it evaporates, but not nearly as mush as the standard 80% isopropyl.

I would not do this if I had denatured available or if I were working on someone else's equipment.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thanks guys.I will have to grab some denatured alcohol.Is there an particular place i should look to purchase some?or is it pretty widely avalible?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Thanks guys.I will have to grab some denatured alcohol.Is there an particular place i should look to purchase some?or is it pretty widely avalible?
    You can look at your local art supply store...they should have it. If not you can find it here....
    http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...ed-Alcohol.htm

Printer ink is infinitely soluble in hundreds of solvents. Get something in a spray can with the little red tube spout. I use automotive starting fluid to clean circuit boards. Almost anything you use will create an explosive local atmosphere, so take the printer outside, put an absorbant pad under the board and spray away until it's clean. Don't plug it in until it is completely dry. DRB

Thanks for the info guys i will grab the alcohol probally tommorrow and i will report back.Thanks for the info as well backhat.After reading your post i have a question.Is there any particular cleaning method that you would consider the best way to go about it?such as using a certain fluid for cleaning such as the alcohol or as you said automotive starting fluid?

A fluid with a swab will leave places around and under the components that wont get cleaned. You could still end up with a conductive path b/w components or across a component. You need something that will flush the ink off of the board. A spray can of electrical contact cleaner, tuner cleaner, etc. These two types may be too mild. You'll know if the ink dosen"t start to dissolve immediately. Don't let the solvent lay on any plastic parts such as the case of the printer. You can test the solvent on the plastic by picking a spot on the inside case where it won't matter. Use an absorbant pad under the board. When you find the right solvent, you will be able to spray the ink off just like squirting the dirt off your driveway with a hose. Remember, almost any spray solvent will create an explosive vapor so, do it outside! I personally prefer automotive starter fluid because it evaporates in seconds and leaves no residue. DRB

The solvents I talked about will work on things like printer ink or grease, but they wouldn't do much of anything on a sugar solution(The Pepsi Syndrome) or your son's chocolate milk. These things would require a solvent from the other end of the spectrum. You need a covalent solvent and the Pepsi needs a more ionic solvent. Maybe just soap and water. DRB

BHX, I've looked further into the ink problem. The ink in a Lexmark is water-based not oil-based like I assumed. That changes your choice of solvents back to the alcohols. Try a range of solvents with a Q-tip and see what does the best job. Acetone is another possible but it might eat some plastic, so test the solvent you want to use on the case in a spot that dosen't matter. Get up as much ink as you can by swabing and wiping then you'll have to saturate and flush off the residual ink with a spray bottle. That will remove any electrical effects caused by the ink. Sorry about the tangential discourse. I always say, "It's never too early to pre-judge!". DRB

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Urine is another great solvent that is soluble in a 2 part solution, one part you drink, and the next part you piss hehehehe

Thus the excellent phrase "piss on it"

BB, Although I support your first choice of solvent, I only use your last solvent when I practice my cursive writing in the snow. I think we can consider this subject sufficiently "over-worked"! DRB