Thread: White Spots on your Fingernails

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

White Spots on your Fingernails

Ever wonder what causes those white spots to form on the surface of your fingernails/toenails?

I was looking down at my hand today and noticed that I had 2 white spots on my fingernails and I was curious what causes them.

I had heard several wise tales from vitamin deficiencies, to good luck spots. And I got curious about what the real causes were.

I thought some of you might be interested as well so I went on a search and found in the second or third google search item:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article...C-9531713CA348

In most cases, no. While there are many reasons for these white spots (called leukonychia), most of them are due to mild trauma -- such as hitting or slamming your fingernail on or into something -- and there's usually little cause for worry. The good news is they'll simply grow out with time.
    So there you have it, if you've ever been curious about it, now you know. And so do I!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    You should have asked me. I hit my hand with a hammer really bad when I was about 15, and the fingernail went from purple to black, from black to purple again, to violet, to redish, and 3 months later it was just almost a big/huge white dot, which little by little dissapeared, thought my finger nail still looks wavy
    Thought my method of finding out was never cientific, but was easy to see.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Is this a good place for me to post an image of my X-Ray when I chopped off part of my finger over a year ago?

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petard
    Is this a good place for me to post an image of my X-Ray when I chopped off part of my finger over a year ago?
    yeah lets see it.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    No, lets not....he might say its a finger but end up showing us something else.....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I figured the white spots on his fingernails was just evidence of poor aim on his part...

White Spot(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Ever wonder what causes those white spots to form on the surface of your fingernails/toenails?

I was looking down at my hand today and noticed that I had 2 white spots on my fingernails and I was curious what causes them.

I had heard several wise tales from vitamin deficiencies, to good luck spots. And I got curious about what the real causes were.

I thought some of you might be interested as well so I went on a search and found in the second or third google search item:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article...C-9531713CA348

So there you have it, if you've ever been curious about it, now you know. And so do I!
    Well Maybe,Usually a bruise to the fingernails shows up as a black and blue spot. The white(along with dry hands) indicates a low magnesium or phosphorous level. Dry hands,cracking skin etc.,winter symptoms can be greatly helped by taking a tsp. of Olive oil once a day. Might taste a little odd but does the trick. Worth a try and good for you.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Could of asked me BB, i've known about this for years

this is good to know....thanks, and here I thought it was the current amount of boyfriends that I had at least when I was a young girl.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar