Thread: Major computer issues.

Major computer issues.

Hey guys.I seem to have run into a sudden wall here and need a little advice.My second older PC seems to have just died on me and i was hoping for some advice and opinions on the problem.Heres the deal.

Hardware-
    Mobo-MSI KT4AV AGP 8X
    Graphics- Geforce 4 MX 440 8X
    Processor-AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    256MB PC2700
    HDD-Maxtor 40GB 5400RPM
    Floppy Drive
    Standard CD-ROW and DVD ROM
    Intergrated 5.1 sound,ethernet
    PSU 450Watts (doesnt have a name came with the case)
    Windows XP SP2 pro

Yesterday i was using the PC and everything worked fine.Now today i went to start it up and to my horror it freezes on me.The power turns on,front panel lights up,CD-rom lights up (but doesnt blink as it usually does it stays constant green) no post beeps,no monitor activity,no bios screen.

I manually turned off and powered up again with the same result.Now i am getting worried so i disassemble the PC removing everything but the processor,RAM,and PSU start up still the same result.Added the graphics card and still the same result.Now i am fearing that one of the main components is dead.

I tried clearing the CMOS still no change.If anyone has any idea's i would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.Thanks guys.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; March 21st, 2006 at 18:26 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Check the capacitors on the MB and make sure no bulged tops or leaks, check CPU fan, CPU could be bad, ram could be bad, power supply could be bad. Try another CMOS battery.

Thanks for the reply FG,I just tryed changing the CMOS battery with no changes,checked the capacitors all look fine.CPU fan turns on and spins as usual seems fine.Guess it's down to the mobo,processor,ram or PSU.which leads me to a question.IF the problem was caused by the ram would the computer still boot to the bio's screen?

It amazes me how it was just working fine yesterday then today bang that quick.

IF the problem was caused by the ram would the computer still boot to the bio's screen?
    Depends on how bad the ram is, it won't have a bios screen if the v-card is out or CPU is dead. It usually freezes up (CPU) and crashes (RAM)

I'm working on a PC right now thats almost identical as your's, same problem. The AMD T-Bird is dead (heats up) and bad HD.

You need a CPU ? I've got a bunch

[edit] make sure you try another KB & mouse.
    Last edited by FastGame; March 21st, 2006 at 19:00 PM.

Hey FG i think i have narroweed the problem a bit.I just tested the RAM in my P4 system and everything is working fine.Also tested the Vcard and all works fine.I tested another PSU in the trouble system still same problem so looks like the Processor or mobo is the cause.I really hate suprises like this lol.Oh and have tryed other KB and mouse as well.I'm gonna try and narrow down to make sure the mobo isnt the cause and awsome if you got CPU's i'll be sure to contact you as soon as i am 100% sure on the issue

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    FG is the man.

Indeed FG is the man!Always helping me with my n00bish questions and such

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hey FG, you got anything that would fit Socket A, VIA kt133a?? i heard upto xp1800 or so should be fit? I was actually thinking of buying Sempron 2300+ to test it...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Reading your post...I am working on a computer with a similar problem. I will watch and see if you narrow it down...I am at work now and am eager to get home and try and determine the problem.

Hey guys,So far i havent had a chance to run the PC to a shop to try and determine if the motherboard or processor is to blame.Works been keeping me busy but as soon as i do i'll be sure to let you all know

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Hey FG, you got anything that would fit Socket A, VIA kt133a?? i heard upto xp1800 or so should be fit? I was actually thinking of buying Sempron 2300+ to test it...
    Depends on what MB, and if there's a bios for support...

My main surf rig is VIA KT133 (Gigabyte 7ZX rev 1) and it only supports up to ATHLON 1.4 T-Bird, I can put XP A's & B's in but they only work @850mhz

I have 1.0 and 1.3 T-Birds if you need or XP 2100 (T-bred) & 2200 (palo).....prolly cost more to send to Australia than buying

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    LOL, yeah, shipping is expensive... i might be better looking on Ebay or pawn shops for old T-bird computers....

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---