Thread: drive mapping issue

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

drive mapping issue

hey got a customer that has a weird one that I cant figure out so I thought I would give you guys a chance at it.

we have a login script when you log into the domain that maps 4 network drives. Now my customer thru out the day will go to explorer and notice that one of the share points will replicate itself 6-10x. so now he has a E: drive then towards the end of the day the exact same share point might be half thru the alphabet with drive letters. I've disconnected the drive mappings and then they just come right back. It started happening after I reimaged his pc from win2k to xp pro.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Did you recreate a new script for the new OS? I'd check the logon script and see that it is valid... but honestly I don't use mapped drives that often.

nope the login script is pretty much the same for anyone then we just have them in different groups. I asked a few of the sys admins and they're like Dude you on your own on this one. I'm gonna check tomorrow his event log and also if he has any apps that maps drives and arent disconnecting when he closes the app. So then each time he is opening/closing the app its adding another virtual drive. Other than that I think the guy is gonna have to live with having 20 drive letters pointing to the same share point.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Do they all actually work or are they just like ghost drive letters?

yup each mapping goes to the same place but is fully functional. has me stumped.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Is it the same if they login on a different workstation?

that I didnt try but at my work we dont use roaming profiles, but its worth the effort to troubleshoot. I'll give it a go rik.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    definitely sounding like an app is not d/c the share and increase the letters... also, check the login script... i think you might be able to clear all shared drives and alloct new ones, rather than just making new shares (ie, they append rather than overwrite)

OR... did u work it out?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---