Thread: Only 1 virus since I got my first computer 7 years ago

Only 1 virus since I got my first computer 7 years ago

I got that computer in September 8 and in April 99 I'd not been conscious enough of the need for virus protection. So I got hit by the Chernobyl virus.

Since then I've been terribly conscious, virus protection programs, updating, a router, Windows updates, spyware, running checks on weekends.) And avoiding suspicious emails and emails with risky file types.

Never once have I found any virus from running a check and the Chernobyl virus was the only one that ever I had.

Is the virus threat overrated do you think? Sometimes I get the feeling there are more warnings than viruses!

So do you think I've been lucky? Or are those who have the protection I use pretty damn invulnerable? I use my computer daily but primarily for news, shopping and email/ instant messaging.

I mean, how common with my protection is my experience?

I should be very interested in the impressions/experiences of others.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Triple Platinum Member
    You've been careful, IMHO. Plus, if you're not downloading infected files from P2P networks and are limiting yourself to basic Internet activities you shouldn't ever face a problem.

A weekly virus and spyware scan will keep even the people who do download infected files problem free.

Well I generally don't do much on my computer. I mean for the most part I had stopped chatting and then recently a bunch of crap started happening to me. Now I am running Spydoctor from Pc tools and something from Girasoft or something like that. I ended up getting Remon and some back door thing. I hope it is totally gone. Im no programmer and I feel like I have been involved in sometype of war to try to get rid of it. I think it is gone. I attmepted to delete it out of my registry. I am having major problems. I think I am doing the right thing if not let me know please. Also have another issue, computer says it has 4.02 gb, but then it is tripping telling me that I am out of room. I don't get it I have 128mb ram installed. I dont keep anything except exactly what is needed to work, what am I doing wrong?
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Bionicblond...I'm much better at asking questions than answering them but I can suggest a couple of things that might be of help to you. Ask and ask and ask on this site in the various forums. What has worked for me is being quite specific (even too specific, I sometimes fear) and precise re your questions and provide the best relevant detail you can. There's a lot of willing patient help here. And sometimes I ask for further responses. I have also found it useful to type some keywords of the problem in Google and then read 2 or 3 of the links. And Microsoft often is helpful the same way.

Reading the Help Menus of the programs is helpful too.

Hope that helps.

rohitk89...(or anyone for that matter): You wrote:

"A weekly virus and spyware scan will keep even the people who do download infected files problem free."

Re that...something I've always wondered. How likely is it that the infected file will screw things up good as soon as they're downloaded? I mean what's to stop the virus from screwing things up before the weekly check is done?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    there are several precautions, but information is the best tool. I had only had 3 viruses in my whole computer life (if we don't count the viruses at work since they were spread by other users )
    My first virus I brought it hom in an infected floppy from university. McAfee spot it right when I inserted the diskette and clean it (macro virus), the other 2 I got them from Kazaa, in just 2 weeks I used it, so I never ever again used the grokster network (one of them was a script kiddy o be exact)
    After that, none of my computers have ever catch a virus. I did find with my computer at work a virus that was residing in a Linux server thought, but it didn't come to my pc.
    Best protection against viruses.
    1) Install OS (linux, windows or whatever)
    2) install updates
    3) install antivirus and run scan
    4) remove floppy and CD-ROM. While you are it, disconnect USB ports, serial port, and parallel port.
    5) remove cat5 cabl from the ethernet port, insert screw driver, and brake port completely
    6) enjoy from now on and years to come a hacker proof, and malware proof computer. On top of the security, this computer will be most likely extremely reliable.
    PS: If you want to add extra protection remove the mouse and keyboard and put them under lock
    PS2: I am still working on a suitable use for a pc like this , but you can't deny it ix extremely secure

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    How likely is it that the infected file will screw things up good as soon as they're downloaded? I mean what's to stop the virus from screwing things up before the weekly check is done?
    Most decent anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall softwares today monitor activity and inform you the minute something is detected on your PC. I use Avast and it does this all the time.

The only time I've ever had a problem was when I downloaded a file (trojan) from some guy in a chat room and then had my PC taken over by him. I was running Norton at the time and somehow it seemed to have been disabled (by the trojan, probably). This is when I was introduced to AVG by Tarun and managed to get rid of the virus. Not a single problem since (lots of infected files, nonetheless )

Like in Dehcbad25's case, if you have a good anti-virus software installed on your PC you shouldn't have too many problems.

Interesting! Should it be any of my business, I'd be interested in why you're running across lots of infected files. I never been informed of such in my 8 years of having a computer. Do you think it's simply that the sites you visit are more likely to have infected files than those I visit? I mainly visit only Google, Firefox, Microsoft, sites where I can ask questions about computers, and the Google links to sites that answer my questions about how science and the world works, World War II history, English history. My ony P2P's are with my son (ICQ) and my granddaughter in Germany. I've wondered if such sites are unlikely to have viruses/infected files.

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Should it be any of my business, I'd be interested in why you're running across lots of infected files. I never been informed of such in my 8 years of having a computer.
    The trojan incident happened because I was fooled by this person. He told me his program would let me kick people from a group conversation in MSN messenger (I think) and I believed him.

Normal websites shouldn't install malicious software on your computer. It's the shady ones that do. I'd love to tell you more about how I've come across infected files over the course of my computer usage but the Rev will have me banned for that

However, everytime something's gone bad Avast (AVG earlier) have proved extremely efficient in sorting things out. If I were using a badly protected PC the story would be different.
    Last edited by rohitk89; April 3rd, 2006 at 05:40 AM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    As in all things, "Commen Sense" is your best protection. Wumply, from the decription of your typical web habits I would deem it highly unlikely that you would get a virus. But regardless of good habits, we always need to protect ourselves.

Thanks All, for your input. wumply

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    So I got hit by the Chernobyl virus.....u picked a winner with that one...ouch.

well I picked up a virus a month ago, and I had to take 2 full days sick leave from work

Apart from an anti-virus, I think a firewall is also necessary to stop port scans and utilise any flaws that might me available in Windows/Linux. Unlike viruses, these are done by hackers (or crackers?) and can be extremely dangerous. I personally use Zone Alarm as a firewall and haven't faced any problems yet...

For firewall I use a Pix 515 at work, and PEX, and Sygate. I think I am more afraid of intrusion from inside the network that from outside
    At home I used Sygate when I wanted to see what was going on, but mainly relied on the router (Exept for the server, which always had Sygate on)
    I know Sygate doesn't release firewall anymore, but I am too protected at home right now (NO INTERNET)