Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an iron that plugs into the iron

I need an iron that plugs into the iron

No luck finding one locally, period!

The iron is in excellent shape but the manufacturer is history though some of his (Heatmaster) other products list on Ebay as antiques. But the cord tripped a circuit breaker the other day--it's that very flexible woven material insulation which I think is designed to absorb heat or conduct it away from the wires. It plugs into the iron with a socket really with 2 jacks--the plug or prongs are in the iron itself.

If you know of some place online or off where I migrht find such a cord (or even a cord and iron), give me a holler.

I could just buy a new iron with attached cord, but it kills me to do that when the iron is perfectly good!!!

Thanks.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Wait, if they sell it as an antique, sell yours for about 5000 and buy a new one for 50/ Great deal, right?
    well, now seriously, I wouldn't know how to get that part, but I am also trying to imagine the part. Could you get pictures?

Dehcbad: The length is 6 feet--overall. The connector (part that goes into the iron) would be reusable-and I can get a plug, of course. The woven material-insulated heat-dispensing very flexible cord is the essential part I need. I would buy iron and cord to get the cord if I can find one. I could buy a new iron and will if I have to, but it kills me to discard a perfectly good iron. The male part of the connector (2 prongs) is in the iron and the space between them measures 11/16" (center-to-center) but could be 3/4". Hard to measure exactly.

Re pictures: I took 2; they're sitting on my HD now. One was the overall cord; the other a close-up of the cord-to-iron connector. But both were 490 KB and I can only upload a 250 KB pic. So would you send me an email address 9best)> I can shrink them with Photoshop but that's a nuisance compared to attaching them too an email. Advise.

Try the cords from an electric frying pan, a coffee percolator, or a waffle iron. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    What? We're not talking golf? Oh for the love of......

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Re pictures: I took 2; they're sitting on my HD now. One was the overall cord; the other a close-up of the cord-to-iron connector. But both were 490 KB and I can only upload a 250 KB pic. So would you send me an email address 9best)> I can shrink them with Photoshop but that's a nuisance compared to attaching them too an email. Advise.
    http://www.imageshack.us

Go there wumply. Click the "Browse" button, find one of your images, then click HOST IT at the bottom.

It will then show you several lines that you can copy. Copy all the code from hotlink for forums 1 and then paste it into your post on Techzonez.

like so:

Hey Dehcbad25...here's your picture. See Big Booger's post just before this one--I followed his instructions...pretty cool!

I edited the image to a forum size (640X480) but it is clickable to the full resolution
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

That IS really COOL, BB. And it's full screen on my computer! So how does that work...is my original image (of 490 kB) sitting on that imageshack site?

While I'm sending this post to you, I'd like to ask you this. I've been reading a book about General MacArthur's life and the author describes how much he did to make Japan into a democracy in 1945 and afterwards. He really hit it off with the Japanese in those after-the-war years; they loved and respected him according to what I am reading.

Does any of that attitude still hold--can you judge from your experience with Japan. Or have so many years passed that what occurred is as little remembered in Japan as World War II is remembered in the rest of the world?

That IS really COOL, BB. And it's full screen on my computer! So how does that work...is my original image (of 490 kB) sitting on that imageshack site?

While I'm sending this post to you, I'd like to ask you this. I've been reading a book about General MacArthur's life and the author describes how much he did to make Japan into a democracy in 1945 and afterwards. He really hit it off with the Japanese in those after-the-war years; they loved and respected him according to what I am reading.

Does any of that attitude still hold--can you judge from your experience with Japan. Or have so many years passed that what occurred is as little remembered in Japan as World War II is remembered in the rest of the world?
    Your image is being hosted on imageshack. So you basically uploaded it to their server, and they host it for you for free.

About MacArthur, I think with older Japanese he is still respected, especially women because it was his re-writing of their constitution *and if I remember correctly his secretary really played a vital role in this* that gave women equal rights in Japan.

Young people today don't really know that much about him, nor WWII for that matter due to a lack of content in history textbooks today about that era... considering Japanese history is quite old (I think 7000 years or more) I can sort of understand... but no time played such a big factor in the changing of Japanese culture than pre and post WWII. Yet textbooks barely hint at it.

Something funny I experienced while teaching here was students asking me if Japan won WWII... it was hilarious and their homeroom teacher was totally embarrassed. I set them straight about the ending and they looked disappointed.. but I think this is atypical of all youngsters in Japan.. Most know about WWII but as far as MacArthur is concerned they don't know much.

On a side note, if you want to read a really touching account of what it was like to be in a Japanese POW camp (from the UK, Australian and briefly American perspective) have a read:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...lance&n=283155

I recommend that novel. It's really good.

(sorry to hijack this thread)

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Now I know which one is...I actually know where to get it, but you might have to travel a long way....
    In electronics repair shops in Argentina you can probably get them. My grandmother had one of those heavy iron. Also electric heaters used them too.
    Spring is starting, so the best probably would be to hit all yard sales that you can find. Or the Thrift store/Salvation Army and such

Unfortunately, Dehcbad, I don't want it so badly that I want to spend hours and hours going to yardsale after yardsale after yardsale. Haven't been to one for years and years. I'd look in the local papers but people aren't going to advertise an old iron. I've asked about places that might have old stuff, bu so far no one I've asked has said:"Oh yeah...go here". Used to be a Salvation Army store or Good will store I guess it was in Concord, NH (20 miles away) but it disappeared a few years ago. So I'll just keep on half-looking--hoping.

But I appreciate your interest.

Did you grow up in Argentina and IF I may say so, that's an pretty avatar you have. Was it a picture you came across on the net?

BB: Read your Amazon link--have attempted to get the book through new Hampshire's Inter Library Loan.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petard
    What? We're not talking golf? Oh for the love of......
    ROTFLMAO......

BB: Read your Amazon link--have attempted to get the book through new Hampshire's Inter Library Loan.
    If you get a chance to read it, you'll be shocked, amazed and proud, I'm sure.

What was really bad is that the treatment the Japanese soldiers dished out to the POWs was nearly as bad as the treatment the Japanese themselves got... *apart from starvation and sicknesses...

Two things I recommend about the cord:

1) take the iron and cord down to your local electronics handyman shop. They should be able to fix it *though it might be pricey... worth a shot. You can always decline the repair if the cost is prohibitive.

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/li...+%26+Repair%5E

That link shows related repair shops for electrical appliances in New Hampshire *you can narrow it down more or look in your local yellow pages.

2) fix the cord yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Royal-El...QQcmdZViewItem

There's some electrical cord that looks nearly the same as the one you posted. Take apart both ends of the cord, and remove the old wire, then rewire it with the new cord.

That *should* fix it.