Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God and Religion, What do you think?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Post God and Religion, What do you think?

I wanted to see if we could use this space to reflect a little the ideas. I think it is great to converse and listen other's people opinion and one self can grow immensely.
    I am usually one that cannot say something serious (and I still cannot), but I do like to converse. So I will start with some thoughts.
    I am not very religious myself, and I am not completely sure if I should believe in God, thought I do believe that if there is a God, it is the same regardless of the religion.
    I particularly don't like churches, and a lot less when they are "gorgeous"
    I don't feel very good against the Vatican for example. There is a lot of richest and treasure accumulated there, and I don't think Jesus would have like that, so If I have to go to a church a like a simple one. I think a church should be a place where people gather to share religious moments, talk with other people and talk with God. It might sound weird, but it should be similar to when friends get together to watch a sport, or just to hung together, just the topic is different. I believe that God is everywhere and not in a Church. He is in people, animals, insects, plants, stones, etc.
    I think I am more of a moral person more than anything. I try to avoid to make trash, I don't like to make other people unhappy, and even thought I hate spiders, I don't kill them (well, 99% of the time)
    I think we should try to be moderate in life. With this I mean, love God, but do not obsess. Love life, but don't forget about after it.
    Well, you will also find that my thoughts wonder a lot, because I think that everything is relative.
    Well, I will keep a couple of things otherwise I won't have any more material

Platinum+ Member
    These aren't my personal opinion, but they are related -

The Bible: A Godly Book?

Your god is not one whom I am familiar with

Dan Barker on religion (athiestic)

If You're a Christian, Muslim or Jew - You are Wrong

PS: Don't mean to offend anyone.

There's also an excellent book called 'Mr. God, this is Anna' which is pretty interesting.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Politics and Religion.....two difficult subjects, to say the least....(reflecting for a moment here)....I think this is one can of worms I will opt to leave unopened...lol....not that I would not love to get involved in this topic but.....think I will save these worms for fishing....lol....

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I think that anyone that constructively gives their thoughts to this thread will learn much from reading the thoughts of all the other's.One simple thought I have is that there is a God and I am not Him. Hinduism - Buddhism - Confucianism - Taoism - Islam - Judaism - Christianity all have moral wisdoms that we can follow to keep us in line with living a spiritual life.All of us have heard some of them."Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."(Christian)"At first my way of dealing with others was to listen to their words and to take their actions upon trust. Now my way is to listen to what they say and then watch to see what they do."(Confuscius)"Look to this day, for it is Life. For Yesterday is already a Dream, and Tomorrow is only a Vision. But, Today, Well lived, makes every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness, and every Tomorrow, a Vision of Hope."(Hindu Sansrit Poem)"See that line on the ground between your legs?Well you have one leg in yesterday and one leg in tommorow and your pissing on today."(A friend of mine helping me through a tough time)
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Words full of wisdom the last ones
    Piper, I agree, religion and politics could be a can of worms. I don't know anything about religion or politics, but I know this comparing religion and politics:
    Religion and politics are similar in that they have been in humankind history the same lengh. And that is about it for the similarities
    IMHO 99% of the politics are crooked, and the other 1% is learning fast. Religion I hope if the other way around.
    Politics have changed from the art of governing, to the art of manipulating. Religion's definition have stayed firm over the ages. And lastly, politics seem to be in your life to messed it up, religion is there to straight it up.
    Anyhow, I preffer to talk about religion at any time than of politics (and I don't know much of sports either )

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    Politics and Religion.....two difficult subjects, to say the least....(reflecting for a moment here)....I think this is one can of worms I will opt to leave unopened...lol....not that I would not love to get involved in this topic but.....think I will save these worms for fishing....lol....
    Like Piper I usually avoid discussing my views on race, religion etc on the net where it can be posted for all others to view. People can decide they like or dislike what you say and eventhough the others in this forum are open to constructive critiscism, there are those who would use such against you at a later date or for employment purposes etc. I would recommend something none conventional such as one of David Eddings series. I have read both of his series and the philosophies that he discusses in them are interesting. You have to first read the books and then look at the big picture of it all. The different gods/followers tend to mirror people in real life. For instance most people would not admit to worshiping money, but we have to have it to make our lives what we want. We all know that there are those that obsess (I cant spell anymore!) about it, ie. The Tolnedrans (from the Belgeriad Series). Oh by the way Eddings is scifiction fantasy......I love to read but really dont have much time anymore with college online courses that I am taking, they own me for the next 6 months or so.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Oh sorry, please excuse me, I've lost the TZ forum rule book has anyone seen it laying around anywhere ?

If someone finds it, please let me know, I need to put it back in the Library before Reverend finds out its missing.

Thanks
    Last edited by FastGame; April 10th, 2006 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Oh sorry, please excuse me, I've lost the TZ forum rule book has anyone seen it laying around anywhere ?

If someone finds it, please let me know, I need to put it back in the Library before Reverend finds out its missing.

Thanks
    Sorry.....but has anyone seen the Ant and the Grasshopper thread, I thought that violated the rules too, or was that just my point of view?

Speech is
    Blondie

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    God... can't prove nor disprove therefore the jury is still out.

You know. there is one thruth I can't understand. Why do politics and religion be roads for discussion
    Politics should be easy. It should be for the benefit of the people, but we know now that most politicians are crooked, so there is nothign to argue about
    Religion, well, we all believe in something, even if we don't believe in a god, we believe in something. Don't deny it
    Beyond that, I think in part religion and this are related. Human nature. Why we have wars if we know they are useless? We just do.
    Anyhow, the reason I started the thread was more like to think, and reason, things that don't have reason or are contradictory

Well, I could be wrong but the interpretation that I got from the book I mentioned in another thread called Monkey, Journey to the west was interesting. It was a Japanese take on religion and politics at the same time. It was like the religious god, etc were in heaven and the hiearchy and behavior mirrored the (current at the time) bueracracy...forgive me I am so tired cant spell a thing. Speaking of which I will come back after I get out of work tomorro, talk some more. Almost all religions have some type of conflict with some governmental party or either they are the party.

Speech is
    Blondie

To be honest, I skipped through the thread because I'm in a hurry (got to go study for my Physics mock).
    Simply put: I do believe that something really great created everything. But I don't believe in any of the religions in their current forms; I think they have been distorted or weren't true in the first place.

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    Simply put: I do believe that something really great created everything. But I don't believe in any of the religions in their current forms; I think they have been distorted or weren't true in the first place.
    Which means that (like me) you are spiritual but not religious

rohit, that is a good point.
    It is funny, I created the thread and I kind of disappeared myself.
    I think I have found out that many people feel uncomfortable talking about religion, and at the same time I find that contradicting. Like a person that is too religious, he gets to the point where he/she is not so understanding anymore, and thus maybe going against one of the main parts of the religion (most practice equality on some kind). I have a friend. He is a great kid, but he gets so passionate when talking about God, that it wears you out, and you get the feeling that he only sees what he wants.
    Me, I think I am somewhat religious, but don't know which religion . But I do know that I disagree with most "religious institutions"7 I call a religious institution for example the man part of a religion. The church for example in Catholicism. Priests are human, and as such make many mistakes, and I think it is wrong to show a perfect face because it is similar to lying. Examples, crusades, in my opinion was just an excuse for war, which is manslaughter. Also Vatican, I feel goes against the dogma of Catholicism. The Vatican is luxurious, and Christ was humble. Mother Theresa....there is a role model.

Well I'm a Christian in an English charismatic church (which means we believe spiritual gifts exist to be used, like healing, prophecy and so on).
    Bizarrely I agree quite a lot with the original poster despite being on the other side of the fence. The 'church' is the people who are christians, a church is nothing special but simply where you meet to worship God and to meet friends.
    We try hard to resist traditions and religion - we believe we have a personal relationship with God and that's why we do the stuff, not to follow some list of rules; I don't know a single christian who would be pleased to be called 'religious'.
    Institutionalised churches (basically the way they're shown on TV) don't really describe how the church should be acting - people should be drawn in to a place they'll find those ready to listen, not put off by the idea of being 'judged'.
    If anyone's read the book of Acts, that decribes the way we would like church to work - people putting God first and coming together in joy simply because they want to, doing practical things to help the needy, and living in a way which makes others want to have what they do.