Thread: Boot Problems

Boot Problems

Hello, new to this site...I'm glad I found it.

OK, I am having trouble booting my computer. I can get it to boot, it just takes effort and I havent been able to narrow down the problem. I suspect it is either my BIOS or MBR.

When it started - had a bad storm in the area, thunder and stuff, but I did shut down my computer in working order. After the storm, I tried to boot up with no luck but kept trying for some time and finally did. I just kept hitting restart and it finally worked. If I shut it down though it has the same problem.

What it does - start computer and I hear about a second or two of disk activity and then it stops...cd spins, lights are on but it is frozen. No beeps.

how I can get it to start - I held the delete button down and got into the BIOS and chaged boot sequence to CD and used my XP Pro disk. Even doing this sometimes will not get it to boot and retart until it does boot.

I chaged the MB battery, checked cables and connections, flashed my bios (tried several times getting errors but worked finally), ran my AV, and chkdsk using the recovery console on the XP disk.

I just keep my computer on now and don't shut it down but would really like to find a fix. I havent done a fixmbr because I dont want to wipe the disk. I can if I need but believe it is more a bios problem than a disk problem.

I say bios, because during one of my earlier attempts to start my comp...I saw, for a brief second, a CMOS error message. I havent seen it since and get no error beeps during boot-up. Hope I explained this clearly. Thanks for the help in advance.

Stuck.
    Last edited by Stuck; April 7th, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What type of internet do you have ? on dial-up, lightning could have gone trough the phone line and damaged the MB. This happens alot where I live, I always get business after storms

Is your PC plugged into a surge protector ? if not the power supply could have been damaged ???

Storm....bios errors....trouble booting from CD....leads me to believe that some how damage was caused to the hardware.

Download Memtest 86 and boot the Memtest floppy or CD (what ever you choose) and check ram for errors.

Try another power supply.

Surge protector could be damaged.

Modem

Check MB capacitors for leaks or bulged tops.

Re-flash bios and set everything to default, remove all hardware cards except the video card, see if that helps.

Thanks, will try what you suggested...answers to some of your questions.

I have a cable modem. I also have another computer next to the one I am having trouble with and it's working properly. They are hooked up to different surge protectors.

I will change out surge protectors and cords and try that....and will trade out power supplies as well.

During the storm I didn't unplug the surge protector.

As I mentioned though, all works well once it starts up.
    Last edited by Stuck; April 7th, 2006 at 13:40 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You wouldn't by any chance have a BenQ DVD burner in the bad PC, would you ? If you do and its Model 1640, disconnect the IDE cable and power cable, then try.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    just to add if you do a fixboot it will not damage your data. Just rewrite the MBR.

I do not have that burner or any other DVD system in the computer.

OK...I will try a fixboot...wasn't sure if that would somehow cause me to loose my data. Is the command "fixboot" from the CD recovery console? Nothing after the command?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yup just boot to the recovery console from the xp cd and youre set. but I think fastgame has you going in the right direction. If you had a brown out then I would have to guess PSU, memory, Hard disk, and surge protector is where I would troubleshoot first.

Resolved...turned out it was the power supply. I had installed a floppy in order to do the memtest and once I powered up the comp noticed a severe power difference. The power supply was just enough to turn the comp on for a few seconds but with the additional floppy wasnt able to provide power. I guess the electrical storm messed it up. Thanks for the help.