Thread: Finally on the internet, WHEEEEEE!!!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Finally on the internet, WHEEEEEE!!!

Bought a U.S Robotics Performance Pro hardware modem that says it supports all Linux with kernel 2.3 and higher.....not so

Installed Xandros, after 1hr I gave up, couldn't find the modem.

wipeout c: /nq /np

Installed Ubuntu and the dam thing found the modem....at least in the hardware manager it said so, Ubuntu couldn't detect the modem so I could configure it....bleeee

Next we move on to Linspire and the dam stuff was the same....I'm about ready to throw Linux out the window for good.

My good buddy rik gave me some SUSE 9.3, I didn't want to insall it because of the time it takes (5 CD) and find that this junk modem isn't going to work....I then reviewed the Newegg invoice and thought I'd try SUSE before I gave in to the fact I wasted $70.

2 hours later SUSE is installed, it found the modem, only one problem....takes me about an hour of clicking...signing into root, clicking, more root....where the heck do you go to configure the dam modem...grrrr !

Ok I get the modem working, I'm now blazing around the net...well not really, you see I got so excited that I clicked on the YaST2 update thing...lol I only got 300mb to go and I'm done, 300mb on dial-up, sure hope I have SUSE 12 when its done....hehe

BTW when I was looking to configure the modem I found the firewall settings, made me feel real good that one of the firewall settings is called "Stupid Mode" I checked that box and got out of there fast !

BYE
    Last edited by FastGame; April 10th, 2006 at 00:13 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have never had a problem connecting to the net with Linux, ever. But the major difference is I never have used a dialup connection with Linux.

The lack of modem support rests solely with hardware manufacturers IMHO. When they don't release drivers for Linux, it is not the OS that is at fault.

Winmodems blow. But with that in mind, Linux should support them anyway either through a specialized driver or in an emulation manner.

It is strange that Suse works and the rest don't. Interesting indeed.

But I have had similar problems with windows 98/2000 and some winmodems... they'd install fine but wouldn't connect, or would drop the line all the time. Hardware modems rule, especially if they are internal for dialup users and linux.

Here's a good reference for modems and Linux:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Modem-HOWTO/#s2

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Welcome to tha Dahk Side Young Jedi

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I had many problems trying to connect with various pci modems,until I bought a USR serial modem and troubles over.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    I have never had a problem connecting to the net with Linux, ever. But the major difference is I never have used a dialup connection with Linux.

The lack of modem support rests solely with hardware manufacturers IMHO. When they don't release drivers for Linux, it is not the OS that is at fault.
    Linux 2.3 and Higher Users
    Note: All 2.3 and higher Linux kernels contain the U.S Robotics Linux drivers. Installation of the modem under this kernel is fully automatic provided your kernel has the Plug and Play module enabled (default).
    Red Hat Package Manager
    USRobotics Corporation is pleased to provide the following Red Hat Package Manager (.rpm) support file. This RPM package has been tested under Red Hat Linux 6.0 and higher. It should also work with other Linux distributions supporting the RPM utility.

Install the RPM file by entering the rpm -i 3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm command at the command prompt.

This file can also be used as a basis to write your own script for UNIX/LINUX hybrids. If you make your own scripts for a hybrid, it would be appreciated if you could send this script to USRobotics so that we may post it so that others may benefit as well.
    Thats what it says for my modem, oh well.

Hey I can say my modem picked my distro

External modems rarely cause a problem, its only the internal modems that are a worry.