Thread: Burning AVIs to DVD...

Angry Burning AVIs to DVD...

Hi All
    I've been trying for some time to find a RELIABLE program to burn (and do minor edits) of AVI files to DVD. I've tried WinAVI and Nero 7 (full version demo), but both are erratic, at best. A specific question I have is this:
    In Nero, why would any given AVI cause Nero to "hang up"?
    I have a friend who records a TV program for me in AVI then sends them to me. I edit out the commercials, then convert them to DVD so I can watch them. I got 6 episodes the other day, and chose to burn them on 2 DVDs. The last 3 went thru Nero no probs (took about 3 hours all up). However, the first 3 are a different story. For some reason, when Nero gets to the 3rd one, it just stops at the 20 minute mark ands stays there. The prog hasn't crashed (as far as I can tell), and I can quit if I want. However, after 2 attempts (and waiting 7 hours), it refuses to complete. I can play the offending AVI with either Win Media Player or DIVx Player, either on the computer screen or output to my TV (thru S-Video) with no probs. What's going on? When I launch task manager, I see that nerovision has 50% CPU and System Idle Process has 50%. The system it's all being done on is an AMD 4200 X2 with 2GB dual-channel, GeForce 6800GT 256MB on a Gigabyte motherboard with 120GB SATA II HDD. I'm in the throes of migrating from an Intel P4 2.8, so my new AMD machine is not "fully loaded" with stuff yet: it's not connected to the internet, so has no AV, no firewall (apart from Windows), and no other "spurious" software of any type - it's just a "vanilla" install with nVidia drivers and nero: that's it.
    This is a very frustrating problem (to say the least), especially since I have to wait 3 hours to see if the stupid program will do it's job or not. I'm going to try coding ONLY the offending episode to see if that helps. Beyond that, does anyone have any suggestions? I stopped using WinAVI as it was too basic and even more unreliable. It's almost enough to make me go buy a Mac...
    Cheers
    Peter

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I've had pretty good luck with pinnicle for converting video from the cam corder to dvd.

Yes, I have already purchase Pinnacle Liquid. However, it's not the world's easiest program to use, and I often found that doing "simple" things took "forever". I consider myself a reasonably "intelligent" person (but perhaps not enough? ) but I found Liquid a complete waste of money. Since it cost so much, I will probably have another crack at it. In the meantime, I just want to be able to get these AVI's onto DVD quickly and easily, with just a minor edit and being able to put together a basic "tidy" menu. Nero 7 seems to have all these, but it just seems so darn unreliable!
    Any further thoughts?

Further to my first post, I have tried converting ONLY the 3rd AVI of 3 (perhaps it is a borg i.e. 3 of 3... ), and it got to 23 mins this time before it just stopped processing. I'm wondering if Nero just hates this file, or whether there is some problem with Nero talking to the X2 CPU or just what the story is. Is there any way to "verify" that an AVI is "ok"? Surely if it plays ok on Win Media Play (which is a grumpy sod of a program), Nero should have no probs with it?
    I'm am fast getting to the point of looking for a window to deposit the computer out of...

Continuing with my updates: I have found a "temporary" (but far from satisfactory) solution to the problem. Whilst experimenting with the encoding settings, I found that only when I used the "High Quality: 2-pass VBR" method do I get the problem. If I go back to 1-pass, even if I fart about with changing the audio to AC-3 5.1, bit-rate to 5000, sample rate to progressive and aspect to 16:9 (which are my preferred settings), all is well. Weird how only this one file strenuously objects to the 2-pass method.

As a thought, I notice as I watched the Task Manager when doing the 2-pass test, that the system idle process hovered around 45%, with nerovision setting around 50-55%. Is what I am seeing this: when system idle and nerovision both get to 50% each at the same time, there is some sort of "fight" for system resources, and effectively a "vicious circle" is entered into where neither process comes out on top, effectively stopping processing of the file?

It's odd that even though I've worked with, used, fixed, played on and built computers for 20 years, I still don't understand the finer points of this sort of stuff...

Any further thoughts from people? Does anyone think it possible to use the 2-pass and stop the "lock up"?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you don't need to edit or menus or any of that crap, WINAVI is the way to go. I never have a problem converting, hell I have converted .mov, .wmv, and .avi without problems (some DVD players crop the video too much) but it works fine, audio in sync, video looks good, etc...

I have been wanting to try this one out:

http://www.bitburners.com/Software/D...ConvertXtoDVD/

Unfortunately I do want "all that crap" - makes the finished products look pretty...

I've just tried burning all 3 of the AVI's again using the single pass: that frakking 3rd one crapped out again with only 5 mins remaining!!! What the h**l is the deal with this stupid thing!!?? Is there any way to force the system idle process to just sod off and let Nero finish it's job? Or is Nero a piece of crap? Is the AMD X2 a piece of crap?

Thoughts?

I am not all certain what you look for, but I have used tmpgenc when burning avi files to Dvd video and think they became good.

There are some nice guides here

Also you might find something to help you on this site

But I usually not bother to make dvd out of Avi files myself anymore. I think its better to just burn the avi files I want to save on disc on a Dvd-rom and just play the files from there. Much easier, and takes much less space. But that is of course only if you have the Tv connected to the computer

Well, none of that was much help, but thanks anyway. In the end, I found a program that would allow my to fart around with AVIs. All I did was re-encode the file as an AVI with slightly better resolution options (taking the file size from 350MB to 600MB), and Nero finally got it knickers untangled. What a needless drama!!! People who write crap software should be put in a small dark room with no electricity for a month and subjected to Barry Manilow music 24/7...