Thread: Dell battery acting screwy

Dell battery acting screwy

My Dell Inspiron is acting up.
    The battery icon shows no change in bettery strength until I reboot the computer, even if it's been charging for hours. When the charger is plugged in, the icon reads that the computer is on AC power (fully charged) even if it needs to be charged.

Do I need and new battery? a new charger? or a new op sys?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It's an Inspiron what? Does the LED on the AC Adapter come on when connected to an outlet? Does it stay on when connected to the computer? If you remove the battery, does the system run normally if you have the AC connected?

How old is the battery?

yes
    yes
    yes

It's about a three year old computer and battery. The charger transformer lights up, gets normal warmth. The light on the front of the puter blinks properly while charging. And I did try running the puter with the battery pulled out. Everything worked ok. That's why I was wondering if the Windows power meter was in trouble. The only thing I haven't tried is timing the battery life as opposed to the power meter report.

Cool. Try what you suggested above. Let it charge over night then just use the system normally and let the battery run down. See if you can gauge the life that way. Obviously the battery isn't under warranty so you would just have to get another one.

....that's the question.

At this point would it be the battery is the most likely culprit?
    I was thinking that if it wasn't charging propely then the Power Meter software can't read it properly.

Not necessarily. If the battery is in fact just not fully charging it could be an issue with the motherboard. What we need to determine is whether the battery is actually getting a full charge or not.