Thread: Laptop CPU Comparison???

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Laptop CPU Comparison???

Hiya guys, i'm planning on buying a laptop by tomorrow and i need some advice.

I'm buying the laptop to suff the net, play dvds, play my music collection, burn dvds, download files and the occasional 3D game (maybe).

I bought a laptop a few years ago, a pretty fast one too, P4 2.66ghz, 512MB, 30GB, 64MB ATI RADEON 9000 model, but eventually sold it since the laptop would burn my lap after 20 mins of turning it on! (Not exactly a laptop then was it!?

Well a year or so has passed and i'm in the market for another laptop but this time no mistakes, i'm after a professional looking laptop (not silver and cool looking like my last one), and i want it to not burn my lap (VERY IMPORTANT)

I've been researching them all over the past 2 weeks, and i think i'm going to go with the HP NX8220, it's got a fantastic keyboard (with a big enter key!) and looks damn professional whilst also having a ATI RADEON X600 graphics card and a 60gig hd!

The only downside to this particular model i wish to buy (at an fantastic knock down price) is that it only has a Intel Celeron 1.4ghz processor.

I am well aware that the Celeron is no where near as fast as the Intel Centrino processors but i'm not looking for the most state of the art laptop here.

My question is this, what has the CPU market been doing these last 2 years?

Xmas 2004 i bought a laptop with a P4 2.66ghz processor (and this laptop was FAST), and now the top speed is 2.1ghz, what gives!?

Have Intel gone down the road of AMD and included more clock cycles per second instead of going insane with the mhz speed or have they sacrificied performance for battery reservation these last couple of years?

I really need to know how a Celeron 1.4ghz will perform and what to compare it too (desktop cpu wise), i've heard people mention a Celeron 1.4ghz with 512MB ram will match a Athlon XP Barton 3200+ in performance, if this is the case, i'll be more then happy with this as my PC i'm currently typing on is that exact speed

So does anyone know what a Celeron 1.4ghz M processor equvilates too in the desktop environment?, i REALLY need to know before tomorrow, and know quickly!

Many thanks

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    These comparison links may help.

Intel | AMD

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    and don't forget...THEY AREN'T LAPTOPS!!

They are portables. They exhaust heat out the bottom. ANY of the high end systems are gonna be too hot to have on your lap for long.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    and don't forget...THEY AREN'T LAPTOPS!!

They are portables. They exhaust heat out the bottom. ANY of the high end systems are gonna be too hot to have on your lap for long.
    Well there are still laptops out there that are still lap friendly

Thanks for the links Reverend but they didn't answer my question, anyone else know any information?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Get the meanest beast you can afford for a laptop and then:

EBAY TIME

Works on USB so no external outlet needed.