Thread: May 25, 2006

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

May 25, 2006

Been waiting for this day.....

http://www.exopoliticsinstitute.org/...AY-2006-En.htm

Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yup. Don't let me forget about this event of Galactic proportions eggy!

Does this mean if you are on the East coast you are dead, and we are communicating with ghosts?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I live in the pacific... will I be affected?

read about the comet here
    http://cometography.com/pcomets/073p.html

and this is interesting
    March 24, 2006: In 1995, Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 did something unexpected: it fell apart. For no apparent reason, the comet's nucleus split into at least three "mini-comets" flying single file through space. Astronomers watched with interest, but the view was blurry even through large telescopes. "73P" was a hundred and fifty million miles away.

We're about to get a much closer look. In May 2006 the fragments are going to fly past Earth closer than any comet has come in more than twenty years.

and

There's no danger of a collision. "Goodness, no," says Yeomans. "The closest fragment will be about six million miles away--or twenty-five times farther than the Moon." That's close without actually being scary.
    The flyby is a big deal. "The Hubble Space Telescope will be watching,
    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/24mar_73p.htm

The number of fragments is constantly changing. When the breakup began in 1995 there were only three: A, B and C. Astronomers now count at least eight: big fragments B and C plus smaller fragments G, H, J, L, M and N. "It looks as though some of the fragments are themselves forming their own sub-fragments," says Yeomans, which means the number could multiply further as 73P approaches. No knows how long the "string of pearls" will be when it finally arrives. (Note added April 10, 2006: Astronomers are currently tracking 19 fragments.)

wow!!!
    Last edited by egghead; April 23rd, 2006 at 01:53 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    I heard that this was coming, but in the year 2014....guess I better pack my bags sooner.... ....does this mean I can surf out to see rik?....what was it efc posted about my thread "what are your feelings or impressions"....oh yeah, junk science....so what do we call this?

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18331
    Last edited by PIPER; April 23rd, 2006 at 08:06 AM.

Might invest in a JetSki Piper. Dunno if the waves will get'cha this far.

so how fast are the 30 pieces of comet flying toward here at?

one the size of a truck could do damage

Typical speeds for meteorites and comets approaching the earth are like 50,000 mph plus. I have some figures around here someplace. The explosive results of such collisions are simply bizarre. Our speed around the Sun is about 67,000 mph. This isn't much help since most comets approach from the south, perpendicular to the plane of our orbit about the Sun.
    There are scarier things. It's pretty well accepted that a Supernova within 30 light years of the earth will wipe out all life in this Solar System. Our atmosphere will be instantly swept away, rocks will boil. This means that sometime within the last 30 years, a nearby star could have exploded and the first that we will know about it is when our atmosphere is instantly swept away in a high temperature plasma torrent,... The End. DRB

Sleep well tonight DRB
    Last edited by blackhat; April 26th, 2006 at 03:59 AM.

"Will Golf for Food"

Triple Platinum Member
    Despite rumors spreading across the Internet, NASA says the Earth will safe from a broken comet on May 25. The Hubble space telescope took this photo of Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, which has broken into about 40 pieces. The comet and its pieces are expected to pass within 5.5 million miles from the Earth between May 12 and May 28. That's 20 times the distance from the Earth to the moon. It will be visible on small telescopes.
    From here.

Record meteorite hit Norway

As Wednesday morning dawned, northern Norway was hit with an impact comparable to the atomic bomb used on Hiroshima.

At around 2:05 a.m. on Wednesday, residents of the northern part of Troms and the western areas of Finnmark could clearly see a ball of fire taking several seconds to travel across the sky.
    A few minutes later an impact could be heard and geophysics and seismology research foundation NORSAR registered a powerful sound and seismic disturbances at 02:13.25 a.m. at their station in Karasjok.
    Farmer Peter Bruvold was out on his farm in Lyngseidet with a camera because his mare Virika was about to foal for the first time.
    "I saw a brilliant flash of light in the sky, and this became a light with a tail of smoke," Bruvold told Aftenposten.no. He photographed the object and then continued to tend to his animals when he heard an enormous crash.
    "I heard the bang seven minutes later. It sounded like when you set off a solid charge of dynamite a kilometer (0.62 miles) away," Bruvold said.
    Astronomers were excited by the news.
    "There were ground tremors,......

read more
    http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1346411.ece

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    hmmmmm.........so much for NASA's report........lol

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Wow, that was scary! Seems NASA couldnt track a home-run baseball!!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Doom-mongers still have a few more days for this, as I remember hearing there is activity until June 25th-ish. Yay !

[[[[[[[[[[ Zildjian ]]]]]]]]]]
    [[[[[[[[[[ Listening to: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tell Me Baby:
    [[[[[[[[[[ http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16698186 ]]]]]]]]]]