Thread: When I get told to rename a file

When I get told to rename a file

Sometimes a program will not do what it should. And oftentimes I read or get advised that I should rename a certain file as a solution.

(Can't recall if this is any file or just a Windows file--I use XP) but no matter...)

Could someone tell me the reason renaming a file can fix things. I mean, if you rename a file, how is any program or system going to recognize that name; how would the file's contents ever be recognized? I mean it won't repair the file, will it? What does occur? How does it work?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    the variables to your questions are far to unspecific for me to relay an answer to your question. I am not aware of any programs that will ask you to rename a file other than video capturing software and this is usually due to the file being in use and cannot be opened to resume a capture or begin a new capture file.

can you be more specific as to the files and programs that you are having these difficulties with?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Could someone tell me the reason renaming a file can fix things.
    1. It may contain too many characters
    2. It may contain unrecognisable or invalid characters (some symbols for example)
    3. A file may already exist with the same name

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Reverend...re your reasons 1 and 2...IF a file is renamed, how can it ever be found if renamed?

egghead...Here's an example.

MAPI is not working
    Document ID: 2048HQ

ISSUE:

MAPI doesn't work. I can't install MAPI, when I double click on the icon, nothing happens. If I set Eudora's MAPI options to always, nothing happens.

SOLUTION:

You may have a few corrupt MAPI files on your computer. Your best option is to rename the Windows MAPI dll files. NOTE: You might need to reinstall any programs you have that are currently using MAPI as well.

1. The first thing you need to do is close down all applications.
    2. Search your hard drive for the following files and rename them.

mapi.dll

mapi32.dll

3. Restart your computer.

4. Search your hard drive for the file swmapi.exe. Double click to install it.

5. Open Eudora, go to Tools: Options: MAPI, Set "Use Eudora MAPI server: Always".

6. Reinstall EIS, and perform a HotSync.

NOTE: If you cannot see your HotSync Conduit, you will need to do the following. Close all open windows, search your hard drive for the file called win.ini. Open it, and add the following lines:

[MAIL]

mapi=1

mapix=1

Restart your computer and perform a HotSync again.

--

KEYWORDS: EIS, ALLCARDS, SWMAPI

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    thanks

that is some serious computer stuff there wumply...

mapi?

i am lost with that stuff

basically what they are asking you to do is get rid of the two files mapi.dll and mapi32.dll. I guess they are thinking that renaming them is easier than deleting them or windows will not allow you to delete them and only rename them... anyways, I think for that program error it just wants you to get rid of the files so you can re-install the files again using the mapi installer.

I am not familiar with eudora or other mail clients other than thunderbird and outlook.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Reverend...re your reasons 1 and 2...IF a file is renamed, how can it ever be found if renamed?
    Via the program registry and memory.

Reverend...would you now please explain this: how does renaming oflten cause what you want to happen? And when a program wants a file that's been renamed and so doesn't find it at first, then it knows to go and look in the registry/memory?

And when a program wants a file that's been renamed and so doesn't find it at first
    That normally happens if the file is missing. If the file can't be found the program usually gives you the option to "browse" for it. When you have located the file the program will generally remember where to look in the future.