Thread: When you are instructed to close all open programs...

When you are instructed to close all open programs...

For one reason or another, I get told to do this. OK, so I shut down my entire systray which, of course, includes spyware programs, my anti-virus protection and my Firewall. All I've left protecting me is my router.

The shutdown period is of course quite brief...maybe a couple of minutes.

Do any of you who read this worry about something bad happening to your computer? What do you do?

And what about the idea OF leaving anti-virus and a firewall running? Do you really have to shut them (or any programs) down for that matter? IS there a really valid reason for shutting anything down?

I suppose I could disconnect the modem but that seems extreme.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    wumply, I have no idea what you're talking about and I certainly wouldn't be shutting down anything "Wsdhen" said

You need to protect your henway. !

Fastgame:

See the 5th. post in this post When I get told to rename a file in the Software Forum. The first item under 'Solutions' of this 5th. post is where I ran into the instruction to close all (open) programs. It was taken from a Eudora online Help page.

But I've run into it many times in the past.

I'm confused by "Wsdhen". Did I mistype something?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I never shut off anything in my system tray.

Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    I'm confused by "Wsdhen". Did I mistype something?
    Sorry, when I replied the thread title started with "Wsdhen"...someone must of fixed it anyway I thought some program named "Wsdhen" was telling you to shut down everything

I only shut down the AV when installing drivers or burning CD/DVD, at no other time is anything ever shut down.
    Last edited by FastGame; April 25th, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

Yeah, I THOUGHT I had noticed THAT just after I clicked 'send.'--the Wsdhen-- and I went back in to try and edit it. But when I did go to edit, the error was gone. So I thought: "Huh? What DID I see?" So I shrugged my shoulders...oh well.

Now it all makes sense. It was corrected, I guess, between the time I first noticed it and the time I tried to edit it.

But hey, when I did try to edit it, I believe I could NOT edit the title--only the body of the post was in the white-background editing box. So how did someone do it? And who?

Thanks for telling me your reaction to my question. Now I know what you and Conan think. I hope more people will see the question.

One more thing, FG, why do you shut AV down for and drivers and CD burning?

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I typically only shut down running applications when first told. If the problem persists afterwards, then I start going through the system tray.

As for 'having' to shut down applications. Its not really needed. The reason instructions typically ask you to is due to interference that these programs 'can' cause.

"I typically only shut down running applications when first told" But aren't systray programs running? They're open, right, unlike desktop-icon programs you've not clicked on? As you see things, is there a difference between a running program and an open program?

I've always wondered about this question.

One more thing, FG, why do you shut AV down for and drivers and CD burning?
    Because drivers hook deep into the OS where the AV lurks, I don't want any possible conflicts during installation. For burning...its more a carry over from the old days when AV's caused slow downs, today prolly doesn't matter but I don't want AV unpacking/repack files, I want nice smooth transfer during the burn.

BTW I don't actually shut down the whole AV, I just pause the on-access (resident) scanner.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    And you still burn music at only 1X FG?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    But hey, when I did try to edit it, I believe I could NOT edit the title--only the body of the post was in the white-background editing box. So how did someone do it? And who?
    Yours truly.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========