Thread: Cant boot!!!

Cant boot!!!

I have a serious problem that I hope has a some what easy fix to it. Im running Win Xp. I press the button to start up the computer and it begins to go through the memory testing and then from there within seconds goes to another screen that gives me the option of safe mode, safe mode with prompt, start windows at the last know best config, start windows normally etc. No matter what I choose the computer begins to reboot and and in less then a minute im back to the same screen.... this continues if i dont shut off the computer. I have tried to reinstall win xp and managed to get it to go throught the initial process then crashes and reboots itself. I have tried to use Knoppix 4.0 straight off teh cd-rom but same result start to initialize but then reboots. I am out of ideas and solutions to this problem. I have other computers available to myself if making this hardrive a secondary in order to repair it. Please help!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I have tried to use Knoppix 4.0 straight off teh cd-rom but same result
    Sounds like a memory problem, use Memtest86+ and test.

I have removed the hd and put it in another tower and tried to boot up but got the same result. Im hoping to get it to work so I can pull some info from the hd before doing a full format. Anyone know where outlook saves your addresses? That is my main concern. I am able to hook up the hd and see my files and have copied alot of things to my other hd but cant seem to figure out where to get my outlook addresses.

I have gone as far as reformatting the hd and yet doesnt matter what computer I hook the hd to it continues to have the same problem.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How did you reformat it?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    do a search for *.PAB and you should find it fine. usually its in the documents and settings under your user id.

Well I have determined that there are multiple bad sectors on the drive which continue to grow....so im sure the hd is toast.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    so I would set it up to do a scan disk on the drive in safe mode then back up your files and replace the drive. It wouldnt happen to be a maxtor drive would it

No it was a WD

Now I seem to have hit another problem.
    I put in a Maxtor 40 GIG HD fully formatted and cleaned. I put in my Win XP install cd and boot from it to do the install. The install begins as it is supposed to but then it crashes and reboots the computer at the exact same point of install. I have switched all my sticks of mem around to all possible combinations and still the same result. What else could be the problem??? Please help.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Check your XP CD... it could be damaged or dirty. Check your optical drive, it might need a laser cleaning.

Your power supply could be the problem as well though I highly doubt it. Have you checked your jumper settings on the drives? What about the drive cables?

I checked the cd and looks fine, I have even tried using a friends copy to see if it was my copy that was the problem...but same result. My jumper settings are correct and replaced the cables with same result. The install runs for about 3 mins before crashing. How do I know if its the power supply? Any more ideas bc I am baffled with this problem that i simply cant see a solution.