Thread: Remove McAfee

Gold Member

Remove McAfee

My friend has a very old edition on McAfee on his computer. I want to remove it and install AVG. I unchecked it in MSCONFIG startup so it stops loading and slowing down his computer, but I would like to remove it completely. It does not appear in add / remove components. If I locate it under Start / Programs etc. I see it as a dropdown item under Win 98 Plus. There are a few choice there, but none to delete or remove. Should I just leave it alone and install AVG for him ?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you look in McAfee folder in C: Programs Files and see if there's an uninstaller ?

Gold Member
    Thanks for the reply, FastGame---I will check next time I go over to his place

Gold Member
    Can not find any folders or files pertaining to Mcafee in Windows Explorer. Can the files be HIDDDEN ? I know how to display hidden folders in XP, but how do you do it in Windows 98 ??

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Thats odd, if it starts up and runs then it has to be some where Is it in Start> Programs ? any icons ? if so right click the icon> Properties and see where its targeted.

Is there anyway to get the old version again, install it and maybe it'll show up in Add & Remove.

Windows 98 always benefits from a fresh install, maybe a good time ?