Thread: Some kind of monitor, I think

Some kind of monitor, I think

Exactly every 15min, I get an hourglass and a flash in the taskbar. Like a task trying to start. It happens so fast that I cant find it. My plan is to shut off likely things in Task Manager until I find what's screwing up. Can I get into trouble doing this? Is there some things I shouldn't shut off? DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    anything you shut off restarts on the next boot...the easiest way is to go to start run and type msconfig and shut down one by one the items that are programs running ....then monitor your system....kind of slow process though.
    Last edited by PIPER; May 1st, 2006 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks Piper. The glitch isn't hurting me, I just want to find out what it is. Thought I would shut down several things(five or six) at a time to speed things up. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

I wasn't having any luck finding finding my 15min error until i just read the article on TZ's front page about the virus on Hewlet-Packard's website. Talks about the Funlove virus on FTP servers affecting Windows NT/9X/ ME/2000. Don't know what an FTP server is. I'm running XP Home. I can occasionally read the that it is an error reporting notice. Most of the time, It flashes and disappears so fast that you cant read it.
    Anyway, I shutdown "Updates From HP" in Task Manager-Applications and the Error hasn't popped up in over an hour. I don't think that keeping "Updates" shut off is the best way to go. Any thoughts on how to get this fixed? DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Just a guess is that it was the HP updater connecting and checking for updates. It shouldn't hurt anything to have it turned off. You can always check for updates manually.

Thanks Rik,
    I spoke too soon. The Error reporting screen still pops up in the taskbar. I'll keep trying to find the cause. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I normally kill everything in MSCONFIG and then recheck maybe 1 thing at a time to see when the problem reoccurs.