Thread: What is it with my Jensen earphones JW-160?

What is it with my Jensen earphones JW-160?

AFTER I POSTED THIS, IT OCCURRED TO ME THAT A BETTER FORUM WOULD HAVE BEEN "GENERAL" AS MY HEADPHONES AREN'T COMPUTER HARDWARE IN THIS INSTANCE. SO, REVEREND, COULD YOU (OR SOMEONE) CHANGE THIS?

They come with a transmitter that plugs into power and to my TV or DVD player or a VCR. And mostly they work fairly well. The sound is usually quite clear. On the headset there is a volume control and a slider switch with 2 settings,A and B, at opposite ends of the slider. There appear to be basically 2 inbetween and very precise positions of the slider where the reception is best.

But sometimes I notice that if I move my head back even 2" or sideways the same amount, the sound becomes next to inaudible or simply gets just too blurry. Move my head back to where it was and all is well again.

And yet sometimes moving my head like this has no negative effect whatsoever. And when a decrease in volume/clarity occurs, I can often bring it back with just a minutest adjustment of the slider.

What's going on--how does this headphone setup work--is what I experience normal behavior for this type of audio transmission? How can I correct the problem?

I don't want headphones with a wire to them from my TV or DVD.

Are there headphones that broadcast without this directional problem and if so who makes them?

These headphones cost about $40-50 a couple of years ago. They had already been superceded by newer models when I bought them.

One other quirk is that my hand approaching or being moved away from the headphones will sometimes cause the volume to increase/decrease.
    Last edited by wumply; May 2nd, 2006 at 05:33 AM.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sounds like to me something is causing interference... but that is just a guess... Check your other wireless devices, cell phones, cordless phones, etc... to see if anything might be affecting the reception...

It might be time to invest in a good set of bluetooth wireless headphones if you do decide to upgrade.

I am not too sure about this so I will wait to see if there are any other comments by other members.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I agree about the interference. They are 900mhz so that is good to lessen interference from portable phones, cell phones, microwaves as most of them typically transmit in the 2.4 ghz range. Any other 900 mhz wireless devices in your house?

The only downside to 900 mhz is somewhat limited range.

Re other 900 mhz devices...there are none. My cordless phone is a 5.8 ghz. and that's it.

So it's likely that interference is the cause when my hand is close to the headphones or moves away from them...or when, sitting in a chair listening, I move my head 1-2" forward and back or sidewards and back? These actions often cause the volume to vary from no sound to normal or somewhat increased sound. If so, that's surprising.
    Last edited by wumply; May 2nd, 2006 at 17:35 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    AFTER I POSTED THIS, IT OCCURRED TO ME THAT A BETTER FORUM WOULD HAVE BEEN "GENERAL" AS MY HEADPHONES AREN'T COMPUTER HARDWARE IN THIS INSTANCE. SO, REVEREND, COULD YOU (OR SOMEONE) CHANGE THIS?
    Our hardware forum is not necessarily computer related. "Post your problems or comments about anything hardware related in here."

Hardware is more appropriate than General.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========