Thread: Installing SUSE 10.1 with multimedia support

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Cool Installing SUSE 10.1 with multimedia support

OpenSUSE is in my opinion the most solid desktop linux distro out there, and also won 'best of show' award at Linux World last april. SuSE 10.1 was released last thursday so I decided to document the installation as an OSx86 user since I install linux quite a bit to make it easier for somebody who has never used linux before or wants to try out suse.

Pre-Installation

In my case I already had 4 partiotions on my one SATA HD the first being windows the second my linux root, 3rd linux swap, and 4th being os x 10.4.5. If you are starting from scratch I recommend that you partition the drive with the main os drives being the size that you want but also make a 2 gig partition that you will use as the swap and install linux last. (suse by default will want to automatically make 3 partitions but you only need 2 a root (/) and a swap) Suse uses grub 2 and it works beatifully.

Download suse, it is available on 5 cd's (fifth cd not necessary if you don't install the Non-Open Souce Packages) but a dvd will be available next week. CD's are cheap these days and after the installation you won't need the discs after we set up YaST.

Remember to uncheck the 'Automatic Login' box when you add a user/set up password if you install both KDE and GNOME if you want to be able to chose which to use on at the gdm (or kdm).

The Complete How-to

I will be installing Suse 10.1 on my Linux box and I plan to use this guide to do so. Hopefully it will work out as it looks like that person knows what they are talking about. We'll see.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    That should work, I pretty much did the same thing for SuSE 9.3. The best thing (multi-media or not) was installing Apt-Get

http://nextgen.no-ip.org/~andrew/lin...tforsuse9x.php

http://nextgen.no-ip.org/~andrew/lin...tforsuse9x.php

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=25845

I want SuSE 10.1....got to wait

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I love my Suse

Well I downloaded the DVD, and tried to install, and in fact downloaded the DVD twice, burnt twice to media, and each time if fails on a file called "lib mng" or something like that.. it's a devel file... And I tried to uncheck that install, but then several applications that needed the dependency would not have worked...

So I scraped my Suse install.... now I might try another Linux install simply because I had to delete my Xandros to install Suse.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Ubunto, my friend. Ubunto.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Downloading Ubuntu now.

ya quitter

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    ya quitter
    I agree, he could of at least tried the CD ISO instead of the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I agree, he could of at least tried the CD ISO instead of the DVD
    I did.

same result. I think it might be the DVD drive. It's 7 years old... might need to clean the lens.

You could have a point. When I was trying to install Ubuntu the first time, it wouldn't boot to the cd drive. I had to swap out to a newer cd drive to get it to boot, read, and install. Try somethin newer than a 4X drive BB...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    You could have a point. When I was trying to install Ubuntu the first time, it wouldn't boot to the cd drive. I had to swap out to a newer cd drive to get it to boot, read, and install. Try somethin newer than a 4X drive BB...
    It's an 8X DVDROM by samsung... but it's older than dirt. I will probably try to get a new drive sometime. For now I will give ubuntu a go and see if it works... Stay tuned.

I just installed Suse 10.1 64 bit on my "play" box last night. Running smooth a silk.

Thumbs up Hacking SUSE Linux 10.1

From "The Jem Report" Written by Jem Matzan

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/

*This guy really is great.*

When you're done installing SUSE Linux 10.1 OSS, your desktop system is not complete. You might still need support for Java programs, MP3 audio files, and browser plugins for Macromedia Flash, Adobe Acrobat, RealPlayer, and Windows Media Video. You may also want to add support for playing DVD videos on your computer, and to try out the new XGL graphical toys. Here's how to effectively make SUSE Linux 10.1 into the perfect desktop OS.

Why you need this guide

SUSE Linux 10.1 OSS -- as the name implies -- is comprised entirely of free, open source software. What you will be doing in this tutorial (with the exception of configuring XGL and Compiz) is installing proprietary add-ons that add functionality. All of the browser plugins are proprietary and will require you to agree to restrictive software licenses. The DVD playback capabilities are in violation of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (and similar laws in other countries), which many believe to be unconstitutional and a violation of consumer fair use rights (Click here for more information on DMCA reform). In other words, installing the DVD decoding software could be illegal where you live; therefore I'm not telling you to do it, but I'll tell you how it's done -- for educational and informational purposes only, of course.

Furthermore, if you morally or ethically disagree with proprietary software and refuse to use it, this guide will be meaningless to you.

*This is a fairly long and seemingly very complete guide. I'm gonna give it a try tonite.*

Don't get caught in the installing every new version thing, it's a waste of time. Maybe once a year upgrade is nice but most of the time the new version doesn't do anything you were missing in your current version. OS is only there to enable you to run the apps - it's the apps that you use to do stuff.

OK if you have a piece of hardware that has support in the new version then that's a good reason but swapping OSs like a beyotch is pretty pointless. That said - I used to do it myself.

I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?