I am having some major trouble with my CD/DVD drive. If I place a CD/DVD into the drive that has an autorun on it, then it runs (as it should do). But if I put a CD/DVD into it that does not have an autorun then nothing happens.

If Itry to access any disc (even one with an autorun on it) through Windows Explorer then I get nothing happening (except in the case of an autorun disc, in which case it runs), unless I right-click and choose "Explore". If I do this then I get a copy of my desktop as it would be seen in Windows Explorer, and not the files on the disc as I should do.

I don't think it's a problem with my drive, as I can access any discs fully through DOS (at least the Windows based version of DOS). I can copy files from discs to my hard drive, and then access the files through my hard drive without any corruption showing up.

I have had a look around this forum and have tried a few things. I have tried to use a System Restore point without any luck, I have even uninstalled my drive and had Windows reinstall it, again with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going wrong here and how I can fix it? I am dubious about purchasing an external DVD Rewriter as if this is a software fault then I may encounter the same problem with a new drive. Please help, I'm at my wits end with this one.