Thread: Making 2 LANs work as 1

Making 2 LANs work as 1

Hi,

How do you setup a network like this. Our ISP in our compound has a private network that we can't actually mess around with. A friend of mine at his place has a router for his own LAN with IP Address, of let's say 10.84.5.x. At my place, my router has an IP Address of 10.84.20.x. I have a local network here set with DHCP. I can view my own networks here, and he can view his own network there. What we want to do is we want to make both our LANs work as one. Any idea on how to do this?

Btw, our routers are both DLINK 624.

Thanks.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/25034

Some friends live in a house that's been split in half into a duplex type situation. Each side has their own internet connection and its own LAN. Now they want a LAN to connect the two sides of the house together. When they connect the two routers with a crossover cable router A takes it upon itself to assign the IP's for both LANs. How would we set it up so that doesn't happen, aside from assigning individual DNS ranges for each router? They both use Charter Cable, but don't want to combine services as they are both at the top speed and sharing bandwith is not an option.
    posted by nadawi to computers & internet (2 comments total)

You ought to be able to do it using the routers by assigning different gateway addresses on the same subnet to the two routers (e.g. assign router A 192.168.0.1, assign router B 192.168.0.2) and manually configure all hosts to use an appropriate static IP address and gateway address so they talk to the right router. Then connect the two routers.

Alternatively, add an extra NIC to each machine and connect these to a switch (no router should be needed). The machines will assign a 169.x.x.x address on this port and should be able to see and communicate with each other this way.
    posted by kindall at 6:42 PM PST on October 4

Yeah the second NIC would be easiest. But you should be able to do it using what you have. You'll have to make sure that both routers are set up as a different address, and you may have to manually set the gateway on each side to tell it to use that router. DHCP could be a problem, so I'd recommend disabling it and configure the IP address, netmask, and gateway manually in each machine. That way you don't have to worry about which router will answer the DHCP request when a machine asks for it. Just give each machine a unique address in rfc1918 space (normally 192.168.0.x).
    posted by Rhomboid at 7:07 PM PST on October 4
    That should help you out.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    simply use XP's 'bridge' connection

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/25034

That should help you out.
    I don't get this part.
    You ought to be able to do it using the routers by assigning different gateway addresses on the same subnet to the two routers (e.g. assign router A 192.168.0.1, assign router B 192.168.0.2) and manually configure all hosts to use an appropriate static IP address and gateway address so they talk to the right router. Then connect the two routers.
    The routers have static IP Addresses, one with 10.84.20.x with gateway 10.84.0.1, and the other with 10.84.5.x also with gateway 10.84.0.1. Within both networks, i setup DHCP of 192.168.0.xxx. I know how to assign an IP address, but what about the gateway? Just set it to the router ip address?

So let's say we have network A and network B. Computers on A are A1,A2, while on B are B1,B2. Router A has WAN IP Address of 10.84.20.X, Gateway 10.84.0.1 (Can't change both of these), and Internal IP Address 192.168.0.1. A1 has LAN IP address 192.168.0.100, A2 has LAN IP address 192.168.0.101. Router B has WAN IP Adress of 10.84.5.X, Gateway 10.84.0.1 (Can't change these either), and Internal IP Address 192.168.0.1. B1 has same IP Address as A1, and B2 has the same one as A2.

So basically, A1 and A2 can see each other because they are on a LAN. So can B1 and B2. What do I have to do?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukz
    I don't get this part.

The routers have static IP Addresses, one with 10.84.20.x with gateway 10.84.0.1, and the other with 10.84.5.x also with gateway 10.84.0.1. Within both networks, i setup DHCP of 192.168.0.xxx. I know how to assign an IP address, but what about the gateway? Just set it to the router ip address?

So let's say we have network A and network B. Computers on A are A1,A2, while on B are B1,B2. Router A has WAN IP Address of 10.84.20.X, Gateway 10.84.0.1 (Can't change both of these), and Internal IP Address 192.168.0.1. A1 has LAN IP address 192.168.0.100, A2 has LAN IP address 192.168.0.101. Router B has WAN IP Adress of 10.84.5.X, Gateway 10.84.0.1 (Can't change these either), and Internal IP Address 192.168.0.1. B1 has same IP Address as A1, and B2 has the same one as A2.

So basically, A1 and A2 can see each other because they are on a LAN. So can B1 and B2. What do I have to do?

If you can't change the gateways and IPs on the routers that connect LAN A with A1 and A2 & LAN B with B1 and B2 I have no idea how to get them networked.

If you can changed the gateways and Ips, then you'd simply make Router A connect to Router B or vice versa as was outlined in my previous post.

But without being able to alter any settings, it's nearly impossible to connect to existing LANS... (you could try a VPN for that maybe)

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/vpn.htm

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    ok, looking at the problem again... it definitely requires a VPN of some description. Well, actually, it depends on what you want the to networks to be used for... ie, file transfer, gaming, applications etc....

SO, for some things, you just need to forward/allow the required ports in the router/firewall/gateway...

AND, other things use a VPN, the Router could be used for end-end communication or you'll need to connect to the domain server with Remote Access, and have a VPN client (i think XP has one built-in).

You should be able to talk to your IT administrator about all of this, and get them to set it up.

Good luck, and feel free to add more information

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I did write you a big long answer with all the options but it all boils down to the same thing - contact your network admins and tell them what you want to do, only they know what your system is capable of.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?