Thread: Re-install XP??????

Re-install XP??????

Hey guys!

Once again I need your sage advice.

My OS is pretty much hosed up. Having numerous problems with software and have used a registry cleaner etc. Started with Creative taking a dump, and has been a problem all along, then more and more. At this point printers are being retarded and not much works right.

I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on here to reformat, it really needs to be my last resort. Re-installing 98 over top of 98 to fix it was easy........how do you do this with XP? I would like to re-install to fix it, and yes, Creative card has been taken out, using on board sound till I get a new one.

Thanks in advance, I've put the CD in and tried the repair thing and it won't do it for some reason. I'm sure you have to trick it somehow???

Sharon

Reinstall or install on top of what you have...

Ok, either option, boot from CD, start the XP preparation thing, after you press F8, it asks you to choose destination drive. If you select your current C: drive, it will let you know there is a Windows there already, you can "install on top of that" or you can "wipe" and reinstall.

Honestly though, what I would do is pick up another HDD and install fresh new XP on that, stick old HDD as secondary and drag stuff off from it.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Did you put the cd in once you were into windows, or did you boot from the cd?......booting from the cd and choosing the repair option usually works....what your wanting to do is considered a "Dirty Install".....sometimes works and then sometimes makes the problem worse.....If it were me.....I would back up all those files you need onto a cd/dvd if you can and do a format/fresh install...but that's me....lol....try booting from the cd....if you choose install like you originally did it will scan the drive and find the current installation...Then choose to Install XP, this should give you an option to "Upgrade(recomended)" or to repair the current installation...this should install Windows XP on top of itself....or go with the repair current installation.
    Last edited by PIPER; May 15th, 2006 at 07:05 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is definitely time to perform major backups!! Invest in an external or at least another internal HD... make it dedicated file storage for photos/music/data! That way.. if the OS gets hosed, you dont loose anything!

Its standard practice these days to make more than 1 partition... but 2 HDs is way better incase of failure.

Good luck tho, a XP recovery or repair should help you out... but you'll have to re-install all the service packs and patches!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks so much all for your help and advice! I do think you are all right about the extra HD with a fresh install and then moving things. And hey, its a great excuse to get a new HUGE hard drive right?

I'll keep you posted!

Sharon