Thread: Trojan virus in System Volume Information

Bronze Member

Trojan virus in System Volume Information

Hello

I've just been running my 'security checks': AVG, Nortons, BitDefender, SpyBot etc. None of them found any problems. However, I ran Kaspersky Labs and it found a Trojan.Win32.LowZones.dm in
    C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP31\A0008718.exe

The virus and anti-spyware checkers did not get rid of it (and did not even find it, just KLabs). Also I can't find the system volume information folder.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I should be doing please.

Thanks for your help.

LouB
    Last edited by LouBee; May 20th, 2006 at 06:10 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    try this free scan....spyware doctor....good tool.....see if it finds and deletes the trojan.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-docto...=google_trojan

It's important these days with all the crap out there to keep whatever tool you use updated....I update trend daily and keep spyware doctor current....hope this will help....once removed that missing folder may return....time will tell

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouBee
    Also I can't find the system volume information folder.
    Open Windows Explorer. Go to Tools > Folder Options. On the view tab scroll down the list and put a check next to "Show hidden files and folders". Click apply.

You'll now see the System Volume Information folder on the C:\ Drive.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    The trojan is in your system restore folder. Turn off system restore and then turn it back on again.

To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the System Restore tab.
    3. Select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box, and then click OK.
    4. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

To turn on System Restore again after the restore point deletion has completed, repeat these steps, but click to clear the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.
    Last edited by Kane; May 20th, 2006 at 13:41 PM.

Bronze Member
    Thanks Kane. I did this, then ran AVG, Stinger and Nortons and they did not come up with any virus... but then when I ran Kaspersky Lab's that didn't either, so I guess it's gone. Fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    The trojan is in your system restore folder. Turn off system restore and then turn it back on again.

To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the System Restore tab.
    3. Select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box, and then click OK.
    4. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

To turn on System Restore again after the restore point deletion has completed, repeat these steps, but click to clear the Turn off System Restore for all drives check box.