Thread: Why would programs WANT to take a snapshot of monitor display?

Why would programs WANT to take a snapshot of monitor display?

My anti keylogger is working normally. All the programs listed below are clearly legitimate programs. My anti keylogger lists them as programs that I've told my anti-keylogger should be allowed all the time. Since they are all legitimate and not out to misuse my credit card # or even want it, I figured I might as well let them do their thing. BUT why would they look for an entire screen vs. a specific bit of information? And why would they even want a screen shot? What are they looking for

Microtek, my scanner program (the company's name) is not on the list currently, though sometimes it is. It's allowed full time also.

For what it's worth nothing has ever shown up in my list when I do a simple Print Screen. Surprising?

ScreenShot Capture Program

c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\AshSimpl.exe. Current Status: Allowed. Rule Action: always allowed. Description: Virus Scanner

c:\Program Files\Sygate\Smc.exe. Allowed Always allowed. Sygate Agent Firewall.

c:\WINDOWS\System32\mmc.exe. Allowed. Always allowed. Microsoft Management Console.

c:\WINDOWS\System32\shlwapi.dll. Allowed. Always allowed. shell light weight utility library. (This is a library which has functions for UNC and URL paths.). I imagine some program put it on my computer or else it comes from Windows.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Because your anti-keylogger program says they are screen capture programs doesn't necessarily mean that they are. What is your anti-keylogger program?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Advanced Anti Keylogger from http:\\www.spydex.com

That looks like an interesting program, especially the fact that it blocks screen captures. Have you ever actually installed something like EBlaster or Elite Keylogger and tested it's ability to stop them?

If you haven't then I will give it a try with a few and see what it is like. My experience with most of these programs is that they are rubbish but I didn't uncover many disparaging remarks about AAK with a quick google search or two so I guess it may be good.

Certainly the ability to stop screen captures is desirable to many people.

Curio: I've never any other anti keylogger than Advanced Anti Keylogger. There's a lite version Advanced anti keylogger lite) but I forget what it didn't do. They were very good about replying toCustomer Service type
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

questions and they also have an online Help link where you can register, ask technical questions and get an answer notification via email (like Techzonez.). As far as I can tell, it's unobtrusively done its thing for me.

If you go ahead with trying it out, I'd be interested in what you think about it.

I have given it a quick go and encountered some problems with it but I used it on a very unusual spec machine which has an 8 monitor display and unusual graphics hardware (obviously) 2 PCI-E quad monitor graphics cards and the software that links the screens into one desktop so it's not a great test machine. When I have more time on my hands I will look into it properly, it did prevent the key capture program on that machine from logging keystrokes though.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by curio
    8 monitor display and unusual graphics hardware (obviously) 2 PCI-E quad monitor graphics cards
    Can i use that 'not so good' test machine ?!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---