Thread: External Protocol Request cid in Yahoo!

External Protocol Request cid in Yahoo!

I have a Yahoo! email account. Today I clicked on "Reply to Sender" and a window popped up that never did before. The title bar of the window stated "External Protocol Request". The rest of the window contained the following message and two buttons.

"cid: C82...8E3
    Application: cid

If you were not expecting this request it may be an attempt to exploit a weakness in that other program. Cancel this request unless you are sure it is not malicious.

(checkbox) Remember my choice for all links of this type."

The two buttons were "Launch Application" and "Cancel". Note that I shortened the cid string above. It was quite long and divided into five sections separated by hyphens.

I did not click the Launch Application button. When I would click the Cancel button or the close window icon in the title bar the window would not close. I had to close Firefox using the Windows Task Manager. I relaunched Firefox & went back to my email and tried it again and the same thing happened. However this second time around when I tried closing Firefox in the Task Manager it warned me that it could not close because an application was running. I immediately restarted my computer.

The odd thing is that when I went to a different Yahoo! account I have and clicked "Reply to Sender" the popup did not appear & I was directed to the Compose page as would normally occur.

If anyone knows what this odd event is about it would be greatly helpful. As a precaution I am at this time running a virus scan.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Watching Your every move...
    Try the same thing with a different browser to see what happens.