Thread: XP Professional hangs after install

XP Professional hangs after install

Athlon 800mhz 256mbRAM anyone any ideas ? I just did a clean install XP Professional yesterday and it hangs about five minutes after booting up.. so I did a system restore today and its still hanging ! I was running XP Pro release candidate 1 on this computer earlier with no problems.. Haven't had a chance to install anything yet.. I'm stuck , appreciate any help..thanks

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    seems to me could be a driver for something...in control panel you can del all your devices sound,lan,modem,video card and reboot and let xp find them again...i would download all the up-to-date drivers first before going this route...or you can take out all your cards and reboot if it doesn't hang add another one until it hangs then atleast you know who the booger is.no offense BB.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    phishhead is right

but i would restart my computer and run it in safe mode

most drivers will be disabled
    see if you can run your computer for 10-20 mins without problem

if it works fun then it should be the drivers somewhere

if it hangs it might be hardware related
    post results

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What is displayed on your screen while it is hanging?

Thumbs up

it hangs just as I open up a window, like dialing out the screen will freeze on 'port opening' window, or the control panel window will freeze.. I can't use control/alt/delete, I have to switch the power off. I'll try uninstalling my drivers and see how that goes... I managed to do that with the modem driver but it didn't help.. thanks for your help

ok 24 Hours later, uninstalled drivers, no change, reformatted drive, clean install of XP again.... Now I can boot up but it hangs in increasingly smaller intervals... eg I got about 6MB of Windows updates before it crashed, next time about 3MB now less than a MB.. Nothing else is running except the Update page and the modem.. Unyet, two days ago this same computer was running XP professional release candidate 1 perfectly ! This is driving me to drink

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    babushka,what is the make and model of your modem?

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try del the modem from device manager...then shut down take the card out and reboot...then shut down again and put it in a different slot. and let xp find it again....worth a try.

just remove the modem then try it , it is sounding like a ram thing if you ask me , i had that a while ago it kept hanging , then got more frequent then it just refused to boot , it turned out to be a naff ram stick, but remove all your cards except the the video card , nics ect and then format the hd and re install , then put 1 card in at a time and run the puter until you find the culprit , if it happens with just the vid card in , it might be ram , try another vid card , but let xp find the drivers , good luck