Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch It

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Switch It

I've decided to install an HD switch for 2 seperate drives, in order to toggle between XP32bit and XP64bit operating systems.I have been searching but haven't found anything cheap for SATA drives.A forum post I visited mentioned Radio Shack and cheap but the link was dead so I couldn't check it out on line.Anyone have some info on this?Just a 2 drive switch is all I need.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I installed it using virtual pc. seems to be working fine just to test it.

You can use a DPDT switch and just power the drive you want at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    I installed it using virtual pc. seems to be working fine just to test it.
    @ Phish; I do have virtual pc but haven't used it for a while after removing it from my machine.Which version or update are you using Phish?64 bit will really work ok,well that's a relief cause I had problems installing win98?Will try though,thanks.

@ Tinker;Hi buddy,where can I get one that easily connects to the power cables via an adapter of some sorts.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Good question Zipp. You may have to make one. Or if you need I can make it for you if you are not in a hurry to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Good question Zipp. You may have to make one. Or if you need I can make it for you if you are not in a hurry to get it.
    Not in any hurry,just kicking around some ideas.That's very kind of you to offer Tinker,let me know what you need for hardware and I can send it to you,or reimburse you for it.Here is a home made situation,although it is not clear to me if this will actually work on my setup.I have 1 SATA drive and will install another.The thing I don't get is the power is still being applied to both drives.Wouldn't it be easier switching between power cables instead of jumpers?Even if it did work the way described,I have yet to find a single SATA cable that connects both drives like the IDE ribbon type.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Not in any hurry,just kicking around some ideas.That's very kind of you to offer Tinker,let me know what you need for hardware and I can send it to you,or reimburse you for it.Here is a home made situation,although it is not clear to me if this will actually work on my setup.I have 1 SATA drive and will install another.The thing I don't get is the power is still being applied to both drives.Wouldn't it be easier switching between power cables instead of jumpers?Even if it did work the way described,I have yet to find a single SATA cable that connects both drives like the IDE ribbon type.
    Zipp I spiced up your document, and put it in PDF format in case users have issues with opening it *no office application*

http://www.techzonez.com/boogspics/Switch_IT_Mod.pdf

You will not need a cable of the IDE fashion. Each SATA drive goes to it's own port. By using the power to do the switching only one drive at a time will be seen by the BIOS. The one with the power on it.

I will try to get on made next week for you Zipp.

@ Big Booger,thanks man,looks better for sure.

@ Tinker,sounds like a plan,and a very sincere thank you again.I have a Lian Li P 60 case,all aluminum including 3.5" and 5.25 bezels of the same material.The hard drives sit at the bottom of the case and will be at least 7.5" from the furthest point of the switch.

Tinker, I'm on it! This could be the solution I'm looking for. However, there is a 12v and a 5v supply to each drive (red and orange). This would require a DPDT for each drive. Also I would choose the switch arrangement with the power off. I love this site! Thanks for the alternative for quick testing. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Naww! This still has problems. Drive Hierarchy is determined by the BIOS and the position of the drive on the IDE cable. Still stuck with either dual boot or Virtual PC. Or connecting up only one disc at a time and disconnecting the other. The switch isn't a solution as far as I know. What do you think? DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

If you just pull the power plug on one of the drives and boot up will the puter see and use the other one?
    Last edited by Tinker; May 29th, 2006 at 06:00 AM.

I'm thinking that we can't get both drives as "Stand-Alone Masters" without switching the IDE cable back and forth, which would be too much bother. But boy,.. that would be slick- Two independent systems at the flip of a switch! I'm going to play with this when I get some time. If you try this, use high-quality low-voltage switches. There's no room for a voltage drop across the switch. A crappy switch will break your heart! DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    If you just pull the power plug on one of the drives and boot up will the puter see and use the other one?
    The way I see it, if you have 2 drives,both set to master on say 2 SATA #1 and #2 connections on the mobo and the power is stopped on #2 drive,then of course #1 will boot.However I don't belive that the #2 (if it is like ide secondary)connection will allow booting.Here's a pdf with some info.http://www.industechnologies.com/documents/IDX400m.pdfThere has to be more documentation on this.

I have done this with success. All I did was pull the power plug from the drive I did not want the system to see. However it could be that it will also depend on the mother board and BIOS.