Thread: Renewing a Dell laptop

Renewing a Dell laptop

It's come time to reinstall the OS on my three year old Inspiron. I have battery issues, speed issues, new memory, and just a bunch of junk has collected over the years.

I don't want to use the Dell recovery CD's though.

If I use my own Windows disc and service pack, I should just be able to load Dell drivers from their fairly complete support site right? Audio, Video, Chipset. I would like to think it were that simple.

Why?

I don't need all the crap that goes with the Dell CD's. I can select my own programs and partners.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I've done it before.A wise thing to do is to download all of the drivers from the Dell site,if available.Next,see if you can locate the drivers and utilities on the recovery installation cd.Remember that by installing your own software,any extended warranty you have is void.The drivers on your Dell disk may be for SP1 so don't update them until you have SP2 on there.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morania
    If I use my own Windows disc and service pack, I should just be able to load Dell drivers from their fairly complete support site right?
    yes

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Next,see if you can locate the drivers and utilities on the recovery installation cd.Remember that by installing your own software,any extended warranty you have is void.The drivers on your Dell disk may be for SP1 so don't update them until you have SP2 on there.
    The Dell drivers are on a separate cd. And as for partners & programs, it's not necessary to install any of them. Oh, yeah. The version of Norton on the cd that came with mine is WAY outdated.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Pick and choose CD's?

I've never had to use the recovery discs that came with the machine. That good to know that I can pick and choose the stuff I install.

I do think it's better to use the software that came with the machine but the amount of stuff that I had to delete when I bought it was incredible.

The Norton? They don't even support the expensive software I have- version 2004. Time to pony up and pay more protection money.... er, I mean new software and more subscriptions.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morania
    Time to pony up and pay more protection money.... er, I mean new software and more subscriptions.
    You got it right the first time.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt