Thread: Windows Online Safety ctr

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Windows Online Safety ctr

I've done a few full system scans from Windows Safety Live. During the virus scan, I get "1 virus found, 0 objects detected." When the scan is finished, I get "0 viruses found".

Aside from the first message being oxymoronic, why would I get such results?

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure, i will run a scan now too and update...

update #1:
    Well the site seems to be 'experiencing technical difficulties' ... so it might have been a bug Piaqt, run it again in a few days, or when M$ fixes the website

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    when M$ fixes the website
    aka the 12th of never.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    ok, Windows Live doesnt really work with Firefox... i copied the link into IE stand-alone and it started to install the Security Center stuff... Well, lol, im stuck in a loop between IE6 blocking ActiveX and when i click install on yellow bar, it hangs the page, so i press F5, and it blocks the ActiveX again...

I think M$ has a fair bit of work to go for usability

update: after leaving the loading page for several seconds, it reloaded But, now, what is the difference between 'Protection' and 'Clean Up' ?

update #2: ok, i ran all the scans and my results showed thte same.... 3 found, 0 detected. then later it was 1 found & 2 detected. I think it has something to do with how M$ classifies the files it finds. Ie, it might be 1 virus but 3 files infected The big problem is there is no link to look at a detailed view of the scan results or LogFile. I want to see which files were missed, what the different objects were etc... (all the usual reporting features of a scanner)! Hopefully, future versions get better.
    Last edited by cash_site; June 5th, 2006 at 04:38 AM.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks. And I'm not holding my breath waiting for improvements.

love, piaqt