Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can not access second Physical drive in XP

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Well, it sounds like a case of drive failure. One other thing you could try is to use partition magic to format the drive. It may work, then again it may not. YOu can get partition magic at the site below:
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

YOu could also try to reinstall your operating system and see if that corrects the issue.

Further, if you had access to a windows 98 boot disk, you could try to format the drive using that disk.

It may be that your OS won't let you access it, but you might be able to from DOS...

If nothing works, it would appear that you need to return the defective unit and obtain a replacement. MOst drive manufacturers offer 1-3 year warranties.
    Good luck.
    BB

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    if you want you can try http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/

this program might get your music files off the hd

your hd has a big problem

take the hd out
    try it on your friends computer with xp and ntfs file system

if i had the hd in my hands i would know if its an rma job

did you use ntfs encription on your other os?

goto the manufacturers website for your hd
    they usually have a program that will check the hd out in dos and determine if it is ko'd

i would do all the above before formating

but if you decide to format

hook only one hd to your mb
    and use a win98 bootdisk and type fdisk

follow the messages to delete your partitions
    then make one active
    and format and install xp

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    do what egg said but instead of del the partition try fdisk /mbr first almost sounds like your fat table is jacked up...even fdisking does not del the fat.....had a drive with a linux swap drive on it and doing the same thing yours is....but I fdisked recreated the partition with PQ magic...same damn thing then remembered the fdisk/mbr command and after using that and a reformat...BAM fresh working disk.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you don't have a 98 boot disk you can Go Here and download 98se then un-zip to a floppy & your all set.

I would check those IDE cables one more time first.
    Last edited by FastGame; August 26th, 2002 at 18:53 PM.

Thanks : I took it to the dealer and after doing some tests , he declared that the hard drive is dead and I should contact Fujitsu.
    The OS was XP.
    There was no os on this drive but it was just an extra drive for storage o data.
    PSD
    It was not being formetted despite trying several times by me and my tachy.

Originally posted by Big Booger
    Well, it sounds like a case of drive failure. One other thing you could try is to use partition magic to format the drive. It may work, then again it may not. YOu can get partition magic at the site below:
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

YOu could also try to reinstall your operating system and see if that corrects the issue.

Further, if you had access to a windows 98 boot disk, you could try to format the drive using that disk.

It may be that your OS won't let you access it, but you might be able to from DOS...

If nothing works, it would appear that you need to return the defective unit and obtain a replacement. MOst drive manufacturers offer 1-3 year warranties.
    Good luck.
    BB

I have had similar problems. I XP on my C: drive (NTSF) and no operating system on my second harddrive (NTSF Too). All I did was reboot and it seems to have fixed the problem each time.

so did u get ur data from it , or is it dead dead , for good , because you could try to connect it to the same cable and set the jumpers as slave and connect it to the slave connector and boot up to try to receive the files , but if it is dead , let me know where you are burying it ill send some flowers ,

or ask for a new circuit board for the drive some times this burnes out and you can just replace this ,