Thread: XP acting up again

XP acting up again

I've XPSP2 and Firefox. I'm hopeful someone will have solution suggestions that will preclude a trip to the repair shop. And while I can use it, it's buggy to have it freeze on me and restart so reluctantly. And it's hell being without a computer!!!

And at the moment everything is fine. I can browse the net, get/send email, call up and use any program, Explorer, works just fine, I can access the bios and the registry.

HOWEVER:

I just now discovered all my (daily) restore points were gone. And when I highlight something, my computer freezes. No mouse. No keyboard. If I play with the reset button, it usually partially reboots and then sits there for at least 2 minutes. Sometimes the power switch will shut it down and then restart it - in which case it may boot normally or arrive at a black screen and sit there. At other times the power switch has no effect. At others, if I hit reset and then, when it stops in the middle of boot, the power switch [B]WILL[/U] result in a normal boot. Btw I had begun this letter earlier, but things froze in the middle of it; so far it has not done that--knock on wood. Sometimes I get a screen: "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. Use last known _____________that worked." I told it "Use the last known whatever it was" and it booted normally. One time when it was working just fine, I left it sitting for 1-2 hours and when I returned, it had frozen.

?????
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Just noticed that as well as having knocked out at least the dates of restores, my computer was defnitely returned to some earlier restore point--all by itself because 3 programs I'd downloaded very recently no longer had desktop icons. (I have a suspicion the actual restores are stilll there, based on a previous experience when they were gone and returned)--if that means anything.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Run diags on your hard drive and memory.

How do I do that? BTW since my 19:24 PM post, it had worked well for 3-4 hours. I updated everything since it had conclusively taken me back to an earlier time. So I did a system restore and shut it down--to see if I was OK. Uh Uh. It simply would not start. So I waited 2 minutes and it started just fine...normal boot. But now I was back at some different restore point, for 3 programs that were missing after the last unauhorized restore WERE NOW BACK.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Do you have a custom built puter or did you buy one from HP...Dell....if you have a Dell use the cd provided by them to run your system diags....it should tell you on the cd which one to use.....you sure do have your share of problems dood.

June 7. It booted just fine this morning when I hit the power button. Go figure! My computer was bought from a small local dealer, now out of business. XP home edition was loaded. I have the full version CD. I also have a CD I made that slipstreamed my home edition CD with SP2. So how now would I run system diags? And if there is no way to run diags, what options do I have to correct the problems?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    put the cd in and from the run box type in SFC /scannow this will replace any corrupt system files. just make sure afterwards you should download and reapply SP2.

Have you authenicated your windows xp after it is installed?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also, do you have any idea what brand of hard drive is in it?

Appreciate everyone's input. I've made notes of it for any future reference. Never got to use any of the suggestions BECAUSE...

Before the suggestions had arrived things got to the point where I simply, unutterably, COULD NOT get beyond the Bios window. I had wanted to correct it short of what I did do; namely use my back-up (cloned) HDD. That did the trick. So I'm back up and running; it's started twice now - no problems - I lost a couple of emails and regrettably a lot of my financial records which, though on back-up floppies, did not end up replacing the missing information. I was able to do that line by line with credit card records and my checkbook and bank account records. I won't say how long it took!!! Can only guess why the floppies failed to replace the records--it's a bafflement as the King of Siam said.

efc: Haven't authenticated XP with this change. Because it had already been authenticated before I did the clone.

rik: Yeah re the hard drives. It was the Samsung drive that was the master before this whole problem started. The Seagate was the slave. Right now, those designations are, of course, reversed.